Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 cameras unable to connect to app on 2.4ghz wifi.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation
Th3w01f69
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just received a 3 pack of pro4 cameras from Costco yesterday and I set the first one up on my ultra base with no issues.  Today I tried to set the 2nd one up on my wifi network.  I created a dedicated 2.4g ssid (wpa2) connected my phone to it, and attempted to add the camera.  After a few tries and resets, I decided to connect it to the ultra base since a firmware update was done on the 1st camera.  I updated the camera and then removed it from the app and attempted to add it again, with the same 'no cameras were found' issue.  

At this point I decided the watch what the camera was doing, after boot I'm seeing valid DNS requests for the following - 

advisor.arloxcld.com
deviceapi.messaging.arlo.com
ntp.arlo.com
presence.arloxcld.com
registration.arloxcld.com
xbroker-z2-i11.arloxcld.com
xbroker-z2-i12.arloxcld.com
xbroker-z2-i15.arloxcld.com
xbroker-z2-i16.arloxcld.com
xbroker-z2-i17.arloxcld.com

Those seem to all resolve into ASW us-west-2.

I then tried the portal with the same results, so I contacted support.

After an hour of rebooting, reinstalling the app, and resetting the camera, I gave up on support and decided to see if I could add the first camera.  I removed it from the app and attempted to add it as wifi with the same results.  

At this point, I'm out of ideas other than just returning the cameras to Costco.  I've had decent results with the other 8 Arlos I have, but in the area I want to use these, there is no way to get a base on wired ethernet at a decent distance.   I have great wifi coverage over the entire area using UniFi (4 wired APs and 3 outdoor mesh), and I did test with the cameras connected to mesh APs as well as wired APs with the same results.  

Is there anything else I should try?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Th3w01f69
Aspirant
Aspirant

I found a workable in a different thread from

@jh5224a4  - https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-4/Pro-4-discovery-with-Unifi-2-4ghz-network/m-p/1846441

In the end, this worked, but I have a bit more to add.  It still doesn't seem like the pro 4 can be added to a UniFi network, either on a mesh or wired AP; not sure what the issue is, but it has been around a while.

I tried the hotspot method mentioned, which didn't work for me on 2 different iPhones.  My guess is it was because I couldn't force the hotspot into 2.4.  My wife's 11pro didn't have the option of 'Maximize Compatibility', and when I set that on my 12 pro, my laptop would no longer connect.  I wasn't going to troubleshoot Apple connectivity, so I swapped to the built-in AP on my Peplink firewall, and it worked fine.  

"While I can't add directly to my Unifi SSID, I've got a process I can repeat to get them on my network.  

Setup a hot spot that is separate from the mobile device you run the Arlo app on.  Join cameras to my.arlo.com with a browser from a computer connected to the hotspot.

Disarm cameras, launch the Arlo app on your mobile device while connected to your Unifi 2.4GHz SSID.  Change network (see here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062357/How-do-I-change-the-WiFi-network-that-my-Arlo-is-connected-to).

I hope this works for you and anyone else that may run across the issue until it's resolved."

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Th3w01f69
Aspirant
Aspirant

I found a workable in a different thread from

@jh5224a4  - https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-4/Pro-4-discovery-with-Unifi-2-4ghz-network/m-p/1846441

In the end, this worked, but I have a bit more to add.  It still doesn't seem like the pro 4 can be added to a UniFi network, either on a mesh or wired AP; not sure what the issue is, but it has been around a while.

I tried the hotspot method mentioned, which didn't work for me on 2 different iPhones.  My guess is it was because I couldn't force the hotspot into 2.4.  My wife's 11pro didn't have the option of 'Maximize Compatibility', and when I set that on my 12 pro, my laptop would no longer connect.  I wasn't going to troubleshoot Apple connectivity, so I swapped to the built-in AP on my Peplink firewall, and it worked fine.  

"While I can't add directly to my Unifi SSID, I've got a process I can repeat to get them on my network.  

Setup a hot spot that is separate from the mobile device you run the Arlo app on.  Join cameras to my.arlo.com with a browser from a computer connected to the hotspot.

Disarm cameras, launch the Arlo app on your mobile device while connected to your Unifi 2.4GHz SSID.  Change network (see here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062357/How-do-I-change-the-WiFi-network-that-my-Arlo-is-connected-to).

I hope this works for you and anyone else that may run across the issue until it's resolved."

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation