Arlo Pro 4 camera

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Tjd123
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Pro is going end of life. They offered a discount to upgrade.  Anyone know if I buy the Arlo pro 4 cameras, will they work with my existing base station?

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tjd123 wrote:

My Arlo Pro is going end of life. They offered a discount to upgrade.  Anyone know if I buy the Arlo pro 4 cameras, will they work with my existing base station?

It depends on the model.  Look for a VMBxxxx label, and then check the compatibility list.

But you don't need to connect the Pro 4s to your base, you can directly connect them to your home wifi.

Tjd123
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the input.  What I meant by connect to my base station - I did mean wirelessly.  To say it better - do I also need to purchase a new base station if I buy new Pro 4 cameras?  Or can I just purchase new cameras and they will work wirelessly and sync with my current base station? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tjd123 wrote:

can I just purchase new cameras and they will work wirelessly and sync with my current base station? 

This depends on what your "current base station" is.  Some models are compatible, others aren't.

As I said before, look for the VMBxxxx label on the base to identify it, and check the compatibility list here:

@Tjd123 wrote:

do I also need to purchase a new base station if I buy new Pro 4 cameras?

No, because the Pro 4 cameras can also connect to your wifi, so you don't need to use a base with them.

There are a couple of caveats here:

• if you use homekit, you will need to connect the Pro 4 to a base
  • if you want direct access to local storage, then you will need a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000)
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're mixing up the connections. The base station does create a WiFi connection with the cameras using a dedicated connection. Think of the base as a stripped down router that you can't log into or modify in any way. It only works for Arlo. The Pro 4 cameras can connect to either your base's WiFi (assuming they're not the oldest versions, VMB3xxx) OR your home WiFi. Not both at the same time. 

So, you would have a choice - connect them to your base if that makes sense in your situation or connect them directly to you home WiFi.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation