Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 Picture Quality

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
rugmankc1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Video appears faded. Not sharp like other Pro 2 cameras. They are on hub this one is on Wifi. All have good signal strength. On iOS iPhone and M1 2021 MacBook Pro 14 inch.

The colors are nothing like the on-line advertisement videos.

Can't figure out how to attach the videos.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rugmankc1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I received a second camera and same issue. Thinking about the green charging indicator on Arlo App's Device Page going on and off, I bought the OEM Arlo 25ft charging cable. That solved the problem. The Arlo cable was much thicker. So, assume the cheaper, thinner one at 30ft was having an impedance loss. Charging indicator is now solid and the Spotlight does not keep going off. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rugmankc1 wrote:

Can't figure out how to attach the videos.

You can post links to them (from iCloud, dropbox, etc).

rugmankc1
Apprentice
Apprentice
rugmankc1
Apprentice
Apprentice

my other cameras are brighter with more color

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rugmankc1 wrote:

my other cameras are brighter with more color

The Pro 2s do have a different color balance than the newer cameras.    Maybe try taking a couple of manual recordings when you are looking at the scene, and see how the cameras compare with your eyes, rather than how they compare with each other.

Personally I find that the newer ones show colors that are closer to what I see.

On brightness, there is a control for that in the video settings that you could adjust.

rugmankc1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks Guru,

I do have brightness turned up. I understand on the different color on the 2k. I have a Pro 3 Floodlight on back of house. Will continue to compare them.

Bigger problem: First off my settings are similar to the Floodlight and other cameras in front of house. But, last night the Pro 4, every 20 to 30 minutes kept turning on, with LED light, as if motion was detected. There was no motion. I still have the camera's battery in even though it is plugged in to AC with a 30ft extension cable bought off Amazon. Not overly expensive, but not cheap. Needed a black cable, otherwise I would have bought better cable. Not sure if that could be an issue. One of the other Pro 2s are also plugged in with a Wasserstein cable from Amazon. Same as back Floodlight camera. I will remove Pro4 from wifi and reconnect. Do that for tonight. Then, if needed, unhook AC cable. Run just on battery. Last resort send back and order another one. I have good night light on this without LED light. Last night I videoed me walking up to front door. Light came on, but I still looked fuzzy, especially in face. Need to see how that compares to rear Floodlight. 

Thanks

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rugmankc1 wrote:

Light came on, but I still looked fuzzy, especially in face. Need to see how that compares to rear Floodlight. 

Sharpness is of course a different issue from brightness or color.

Personally I think the low-light color threshold of the 2K/4K cameras might be set too low - which IMO can result in poor quality video in some lighting conditions.

The bit rate is of course another factor - you might make sure you are set to "best video quality". 

rugmankc1
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is set to Best Video

2 other things:

1. Sometimes the video stutters during playback. Very short time.

2. I have 3 cameras on front of house now. Since, I purchased the Pro 4.

a. One is against the house, so my front door is fully covered. But, to the right is blocked by the garage wall extending out from the house.

b. The Pro 4 is 5ft in front of and 3ft to the left on the porch post.

c. I moved down 15ft to the farthest left porch post.

Not sure if that is now too many too close

Thanks StephenB

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Stuttering during playback is usually a sign that some loss has occured on the network connection between the camera and the cloud.  I do see it sometimes on my own cameras.  

I don't think your cameras are too close to each other - but if they are all triggering at the same time, you might be needing more bandwidth than is available (creating congestion somewhere between the cameras and the Arlo Cloud servers).

rugmankc1
Apprentice
Apprentice

They don't always trigger at same time. Only very occasionally. Most of the time one or two pick up same activity.

The other 3 cameras are off the latest hub with a router between it and our internet modem. They are on 5gz. 

Wish the Pro 4 ran on 5gz. Maybe a future software update can add that feature.

Thanks for all the advice

rugmankc1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Guess I should ask if anyone else with the Pro 4 on 2.4Ghz with a couple other cameras on their Wi-Fi network have stuttering on every recorded video. My other cameras are in 5Ghz, but same network. I have turned off the other 3 cameras. Will see. The Pro 4 says strong signal and I have 200Mps internet speed.

Thanks

rugmankc1
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am returning the Pro 4. I turned all other cameras off last night and the camera/LED light kept going off. I live toward the back of a court. LED street light and a neighbor has two LED porch lights. Maybe too much lighting. Not sure on ordering another camera.

Thanks
rugmankc1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I received a second camera and same issue. Thinking about the green charging indicator on Arlo App's Device Page going on and off, I bought the OEM Arlo 25ft charging cable. That solved the problem. The Arlo cable was much thicker. So, assume the cheaper, thinner one at 30ft was having an impedance loss. Charging indicator is now solid and the Spotlight does not keep going off. 

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation