Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 (Multiple Cameras) - Inconsistent Crackling Sound When Viewing or Recording

Discussion stats
src720
Tutor
Tutor

Hello. I am frustrated by an frequent issue I am experiencing with my Arlo Pro 4 cameras. More often than not, there is a persistent crackling noise when viewing a live feed or a recording triggered from motion. At first I thought there was some interference with the cameras, but the issue is not consistent. Sometimes there is a crackle, sometimes not. I could play a live stream and it's fine, then stop and restart the stream and the noise is there. It is loud and covers any sound captured during a recording. I even received replacement cameras from Amazon, but the same issue occurs. Here is everything I tried:

1. Followed instructions from Arlo from a similar community post: removed/replaced batteries, restarted cameras, verified cameras have a strong connection to wi-fi, etc.
  2. I removed the cameras from the app and added them again
  3. Re positioned the cameras inside and outside
  4. Uninstalled the app and reinstalled (Android)
  5. Verified the latest version of the software is installed on my phone and the cameras also have the latest version of the firmware
  6. As mentioned above, I received replacement cameras from Amazon. Again I reinstalled the app and cameras

I tried everything above, but the noise persists. While I like the cameras, I cannot use them if there is aloud crackling sound over my recordings or live stream. I'll just have to return them if there is no resolution.

I can share a sample video, but am not sure how to do that here. Arlo support was friendly but not very helpful when I had an issue with my doorbell camera (Amazon replacement fixed the issue), so I am hoping someone from the community may be able to provide a solution. Thank you in advance.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

For those experiencing this behavior, if you feel your camera is defective or has a hardware issue that is causing these symptoms, I encourage you to reach out to support using the Arlo Secure mobile app under Settings > Support and open a ticket to further investigate the issue.

JamesC

107 REPLIES 107
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those experiencing this behavior, if you feel your camera is defective or has a hardware issue that is causing these symptoms, I encourage you to reach out to support using the Arlo Secure mobile app under Settings > Support and open a ticket to further investigate the issue.

JamesC

MichelleL
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had my Arlo Pro 4 security cameras for a year now and I get a lot of crackling a lot of the time, too. I hate dealing with Arlo support.

Mammoth670
Guide
Guide

mine list in the app as out of warranty but a month.   while subscribed to an alro plan.

i've already read a RMA does nothing

bobo37
Initiate
Initiate

WISH I READ THIS BEFORE BUYING 3 Arlo Pro 4's.

I am a big fan of Arlo, bought the very first model when it first came out (forgot which model, it was wonderful!). Doorbell, not so much, almost stepped on it and threw it away (probably the same).

I went head and bought two Ultra 2's, wonderful!

Then I bought three Arlo Pro 4's, my gosh, constant crackling sound! Then I came here and read this. Trust me guys, this is NOT a hardware issue. I used a base to connect these three Arlo pro 4's, removed them, still crackling sound. So I gave up and didn't even bother waiting for the hour-long wait for app support chat service (could have learned so much from chatgpt while waiting). 

I highly believe this is a software issue that ARLO/NETGEAR needs to fix! It comes on and off, so, everyone's experience may vary. Some days, it's good, most of the time, crackling sound, and can't hear a thing. 

DO NOT WASTE your time trying to fix your hardware or get a base, or not get a base, it's the same.

Hope this helps.

Ryan3250
Aspirant
Aspirant

We Just Installed our Brand New Arlo Pro 4 Camera. We have all kind's of silly stuff going on?? However this Crackling Noise was "NOT" there During Install, and setting it up to View the are we wanted to Cover. Now we are Finished with All NOISE that Drowns out Everything we are trying to "SEE"  And  "HEAR".  We've been doing all this SAME STUFF, mentioned with No FIX at All??? We have other ARLO Cameras that are Older that Do NOT Make this Stupid Annoying CRACKLING NOISE. What the Heck is going on here????  JEEZE. This is Totally Frustrating!.

Ryan3250
Aspirant
Aspirant

O My God. That is Just Unacceptable !!!!  PERIOD!!!!  We have the Same Issue. And the Older Cameras do NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM!!!! Un Freaking Believable!  And as for the ARLO SUPPORT.  (NO COMMENT)!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan3250
Aspirant
Aspirant

What we should have done was Buy the RING CAMERA'S. And after reading all these Issues with these NEWER PRO4 Units. It most likely will be Exactly what we Do!!!  Un Freaking Believable  " A  R  L  O"!!!!  

Mammoth670
Guide
Guide

@JamesC 

at this point.  with the audio and video issues they should be replaced with the next similar model.

i would also like to add.  since i've been waiting a month for support on the support forum here.  2 of the 4 are out of warranty.    even though they were bought a year ago.  and i am a yearly subscriber to arlo Smart

if i open a support ticket will these be replaced?

bobo37
Initiate
Initiate

I literally perused through at least 25 messages regarding this issues. Here is my conclusion:

1. if you don't mind staying online, waiting for Arlo support for on average, at least 45-an hour;

2. just to get a response to: have you reset your camera? have you removed the batter? have you turned off your wifi? have you disconnected then reconnect your wifi? have you regretted buying Pro 4 before coming here to read this (j/k);

3. they will "escalate" this, and trust me, nothing, will happen.

I have the second generations ones, forgot what it is, never had issue, and Ultra 2, never had issue. Basically, as stated in my last post, it's hit-or-miss. This problem might be a hardware issue that there is just nothing you could do except return to where you bought it from, and change to another model.

Mammoth670
Guide
Guide

did reset of cameras and all of them are doing the same thing. Including staticky audio now that it reenabled audio recording 

waiting back for support after ticket was created around 6am

kenmcdon
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same exact issue, and nobody seems to know how to fix it. In a live feed or a recording, There is a crackling noise constantly in the video. Tried almost all of the recommended fixes, and it still continues. I hope Arlo steps up with a solution soon.

Purchased my three units last fall. Have been working on this problem for quite some time.

kenmcdon
Tutor
Tutor

I’ve been experiencing the same problem whether it is live streaming or the video feed.  
Bought three cameras last fall and it appears nothing can fix this issue. Either Arlo needs to step up and fix the issue or replace the cameras with an upgrade that does not have this noise.

AshJames
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue with my brand new Pro 4 cameras.  Have installed two out of three of them and both have audio issues.  Sometimes it is good, and sometime I hear a crackling sound.  Not pleased to hear about the lack of celerity from customer support.    

MoonlightGraham
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just chiming in - same issue, 4 brand new Pro 4 cameras out of the box. Running the latest firmware.

bobby702
Guide
Guide

Has anyone found a solution to the crackling sound? I just bought an Arlo Pro 4 cameras and a hub station. I'm having the same issue. I did what was suggested here but still hearing the crackling sound.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not as far as I know. However the way it behaves (at least on my system) I think it must have something to do with the signal levels. I noticed after I replaced my router with a stronger mesh system I do not see the problem nearly as often. That being said, I believe it must be a firmware problem because I see the problem on all my cameras some of the time, but never consistently on any one of them. I am still trying to see how much of an impact the new router signal helped mine. It was noticeable.

bobby702
Guide
Guide

Thank you for your reply. I even purchased a new Orbi wifi 6 to help with the signal.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is it still doing it after that? Or did you just recently purchase it.

Since it is so random it may just be a firmware problem. I suppose it could be a hardware problem, but I have some cameras that very rarely do it. If it was a hardware problem it would be more consistent, either more frequently or during certain conditions (Cold, heat, rain etc). 

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I will add Arlo does not seem to have any interest in fixing the problem though.

bobby702
Guide
Guide

I've been having the same issue for a week or so now. I'll keep an eye on it before returning the equipment. I was using NETGEAR Hawk before I bought Orbi. 

Jilliand
Aspirant
Aspirant

James, Arlo support is horrible. I've been on the phone for hours. They say it's a known ongoing issue and refuse to replace the cameras. They tell me I have to wait for a solution. I see on the forums it's been an "ongoing issue" since May 2022. How much longer do we need to wait. 

Bhamster
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased a 3 pack of Pro 4 cameras and one of them was having this issue.  Constant crackling and static audio.  I played with every setting and nothing changed it.  The other camera I set up did not have the issue.  My pro2 cameras are still working without any audio issue.  All are connected to the 4000 model base station.  I was about to return them to Best Buy based on this and other forums saying there isn’t a fix.  However, I seem  to have stumbled into a solution.

I also have been trying to update the app to the new user interface, but mine is the old interface—my wife’s is the new interface, so we can’t share cameras.  Turns out there is a way to force your account to transition to the new UI.  Go to “add device”.  Then choose add “security system”.  Click through the steps until you get to the bar code.  Then just cancel the addition.  This will trick your app into using the new interface.  The audio issue is now gone!  You can verify you are using the new UI by looking at bottom of the app.  It should say “dashboard, feed, ….”

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

That would be very good news. I would be interested in hearing from you in a couple of weeks as to if this holds. The reason I say that is I have had this problem for about a year and a half. It comes and goes. Sometimes for a week or so at a time. But if it does that will be very good news for a lot of people.

Has anyone else on the new interface seen this cracking noise on the Pro 4 cameras? Of verify that it has been corrected. It have tried to narrow this problem down, but it seems to happen on all different types of random situations.

Thanks.

cnsc74
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wow! Just found this after having to endure jumping through hoops with the horrible Arlo online Customer Service, for over a week! I had recently upgraded my Arlo Pro 3, 3-camera system with the newer Pro 5S XL's. Had the Pro 3's in service for approx 2-years (without any real issues at all) & opted to upgrade to the new Pro 5S's with the longer life battery. Installed went relatively easy like the Pro 3's. No issue at all with the new Pro 5 cameras. Decided to add a couple of more cameras for move surveillance coverage. Added a Pro 4, and then a Ultra 2 later. Not long after adding the Pro 4, I noticed scratchy/crackling background noise with the intermittent screeching noise. Finally broke down and contacted Arlo Support online. (easier to communicate as too hard to understand anyone you speak to over the phone). Long, story short after over a week of troubleshooting, replicating tests with each new person involved, they shipped me a NEW replacement Pro 4. Received the camera kit yesterday, 10/04/2023, installed it that evening, all appeared to be well. Less than 24-hours later, the same audio issues have re-appeared! Again note: I have operated 4-different models of Arlo cameras in my system. Pro3, Pro5S, Pro4, & Ultra2. The ONLY PROBLEM exists with the PRO 4 CAMERA. This appears to be an problem with the Pro 4 camera alone. Hardware, Software, Firmware, or ALL.  Funny how they NEVER mentioned this was an on-going problem from the start (and it looks to have started in March of 2022). I will now be returning both my old & the newly received Pro 4 cameras at the same time & requesting a FULL REFUND CREDIT towards purchasing another Pro 5 or Ultra 2.

Bhamster
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Pro4 cameras have been recording crystal clear audio since I “forced” the app to upgrade to the new version.  Hopefully, this is the solution.

Discussion stats