Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 Motion Detection then Audio and Video Distortion

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
C-TownJeremy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is anyone else having an issue with their Arlo Pro 4 detecting motion, starts recording, but then when you look at video all there is is audio distortion like someone rubbing a microphone against clothes, and then the video is distorted with sometimes green or colored pixels taking up the screen?

I use 2 Arlo Pro 4s, one on back of house, 1 on Front, 1 Garage Floodlight Camera, and a Basestation. All connected via TP-Link M4 Mesh Deco system with AT&T Fiber.

My whole system is less than 3 months old.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@C-TownJeremy wrote:

Is anyone else having an issue with their Arlo Pro 4 detecting motion, starts recording, but then when you look at video all there is is audio distortion like someone rubbing a microphone against clothes, and then the video is distorted with sometimes green or colored pixels taking up the screen?

I use 2 Arlo Pro 4s, one on back of house, 1 on Front, 1 Garage Floodlight Camera, and a Basestation. All connected via TP-Link M4 Mesh Deco system with AT&T Fiber.

My whole system is less than 3 months old.

Are both cameras behaving this way?  Is the floodlight doing this also?

Is it happening a lot?  Or just sometimes?

Are the Pro 4 cameras connected to the Deco WiFi or are they connected to the basestation?

C-TownJeremy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Only the front Arlo Pro 4 is doing this with the audio and video distortion. All cameras are connected to the base station. I noticed last night that my front camera did pick up animal motion correctly, but then later, the same camera was triggered again with nothing there and this time it had the audio/video distortion.

Not to mention that in the front camera video I can see the animal walking in my driveway and the garage camera didn’t activate or start recording. Can only one camera record at a time?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@C-TownJeremy wrote:

Not to mention that in the front camera video I can see the animal walking in my driveway and the garage camera didn’t activate or start recording. Can only one camera record at a time?

Multiple cameras can record at the same time - though if you use a base station, then you are limited to 5 simultaneous streams.

The motion detection is done with a PIR (passive infrared) sensor, and the range is spec'd as "up to 25 feet".  In practice, the range depends a lot on what the moving object is.  I find that the range for vehicles is generally significantly further, and that the range for smaller animals is much less.

@C-TownJeremy wrote:

Only the front Arlo Pro 4 is doing this with the audio and video distortion. All cameras are connected to the base station.

Try swapping the cameras, and see if the problem moves with the camera, or stays with the location.

If the base is near your router, you can also check your home wifi upload speed using your phone near the location.  That will give you a better idea of the signal strength than the arlo signal bars in the app.  The free ookla speedtest app is good for this.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation