Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 - Difficulty in getting case to release to replace battery

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
mjd500
Follower
Follower

I am having to hit the case while releasing the button underneath to try and get the inner battery piece to release outward from the outer shell.  I have had this issue with camera since new.  It sometimes takes 10 minutes or more of fiddling with it before I can remove the outer case to replace the battery.  

Just wondering if there is anything to get it to release further outward so I can just pull out, replace the battery, and snap back in?

Thanks in advance for any tips...

15 REPLIES 15
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mjd500 wrote:

Thanks in advance for any tips...

Normally you press the button to get the outer shell and camera body to separate, and then press it a second time while you remove the camera body altogether.  You shouldn't have to hit the case.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There have been times where I just hold the case securely and "throw" it towards my other hand which is ready to catch the camera as it comes free.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

maybe a light touch of silicon grease on the oring will help

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
milton743
Aspirant
Aspirant

just purchase a package of 3 arlo pro 4 cameras.   thinking of smashing them on the wall.  What button to release the camera from protective outer cover.  there is no button.  nor is there any instructions on its exact location.  on the face of the camera on the lower part you can indent your finger but nothing happens.    going to return this with extreme predijuce tomorrow if someone doesn't have an answer.   These are expensive cameras with little or no online support.  I might add the "new" internet support is out to lunch.   I know I'm not alone here, at least I hope so.  any ideas?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@milton743 wrote:

just purchase a package of 3 arlo pro 4 cameras.  What button to release the camera from protective outer cover.  there is no button.  

Yes there is.  I've circled it in this picture.

pro4.png

Generally you want to press it twice.  The first press will separate the camera from the shell, but it won't slide all the way out until you press it again.

The user manual for the Pro 4 is here: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/images/documents/arlopro4/Arlo_Pro4_Device_UM_NA_3.pdf

Are you certain you purchased Pro 4 cameras?  The less expensive Arlo Essential Cameras are fully sealed (no user-replaceable battery).  They of course don't have the release button.

milton743
Aspirant
Aspirant

My apologies for the lateness of this reply.  Thank you for your information and now after a short out of town trip with no security it has dawned on me that the cameras are not Pro 4.   However, they were in a Pro 4 box and packaged professionally.   There is no button as described only a metal screw plate.    Will be returning to Best Buy tomorrow.

Again thank you

dcfox1
Master
Master

It was probably a return or refurbished that Best Buy does repackage good and got mixed up but should have been a disclosure. The screw plate though is usually on the rear of the camera though. Not sure what model it was with the screw plate on the bottom. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dcfox1 wrote:

The screw plate though is usually on the rear of the camera though. Not sure what model it was with the screw plate on the bottom. 

@milton743: can you provide a couple of photos of your cameras?

kellywavra
Initiate
Initiate

This was shipped to me from Best Buy. There is NO BUTTON only a metal screw on all three cameras. 

It appeared new and not refurbished. 

I have tried all three pushing the metal screw and inserting the security key to release the insert and install the battery. 

This will have to be returned!

kellywavra
Initiate
Initiate

OMG my friend figured it out!!! Insert security key in 6 sided hole. where button should be. 

Turn key a quarter and it pops out!!!

Kelly  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kellywavra wrote:

I have tried all three pushing the metal screw and inserting the security key to release the insert and install the battery. 

If you have a security key, then you must have purchased the secure mount.  That replaces the camera shell, so it does change what you need to do.  

I don't happen to have that mount, but per the quick-start guide:

To release your camera from the housing, insert the security key in the release button and turn the key clockwise. 

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/images/documents/arlo/Arlo_Total_Security_Mount_QSG_US_1.pdf

jcabanes
Initiate
Initiate

The answer Arlo provides is totally false.   It takes me a long time to remove a battery.   Pressing the button on my cameras does not let the battery slide out on its own.  Pressing it a 2nd time does nothing. I have to mess with it by tapping the case for a good 10 minutes of tapping... then banging it to finally release.   I checked to see if the casing is clean.  This has become a ridiculous process.  would definitely not recommend an Arlo  system to anyone until they fix this.  Since there are many threads / discussion on this,  obviously this is a problem for many of us that Arlo needs to address and stop tell use to press the button twice.

Totally Rediculous!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you want weather resistance, there needs to be a seal which is a small o-ring on the camera itself.  Time can cause this to "seal" itself to the case, making it difficult to release the camera from the shell. I dismount the camera and shake the camera, face down, into my other hand which has done me well over the years. I haven't tried using a light wipe of an appropriate grease on the o-ring to fix it. I've also used the indoor charger on an extension cord when the weather was dry to eliminate the need to remove the battery.

I'd prefer weather-tightness.

kscraven
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue with the Arlo Pro 4 that was bought at Best Buy. Here is a picture of the "button" that the Pro 4 is supposed to have, but obviously this is not the right model. Mine also didn't come with the security key, so it's impossible to open it to replace the battery.

IMG_2006.jpg
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kscraven wrote:

I had the same issue with the Arlo Pro 4 that was bought at Best Buy. Here is a picture of the "button" that the Pro 4 is supposed to have, but obviously this is not the right model. Mine also didn't come with the security key, so it's impossible to open it to replace the battery.

The security key only comes with the "total security mount" - https://www.arlo.com/en-us/accessories/VMA5100-10000S.html

Is that what you have?

FWIW, the release button on the Pro 4 is white

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation