Arlo Pro 4 Battery life is poor !!

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
RussArlo47
Follower
Follower

So I bought these cameras from Arlo in August and been up for a couple of months.  Now all of a sudden I'm experiencing poor battery life.  The battery dropped from 100% down to 30% in a matter of days.  Even with a Solar Panel connected to it.  Now winter has arrived and I'm worried that the cameras battery will not last !  

Tried to contact Support, but it seems to be automated.  First things first, satisfy your customer or they go elsewhere.  

The only solution I see is too disable this and that, and now I have a basic camera...Why have all these options when your camera cannot seem to keep up with them.  Get a real battery !! Maybe i just need to invest in another 100$ and upgrade to XL battery ? 

I bought a few cameras from Amazon, some 100$ camera, and it still has been recording non stop, no issues.  Keeps at 100% and solar panel no issues.  Just wished they had Active zoning.  

Another issue, is that i tried to charge the dog gone camera and it failed to charge it.  Now after two days, it's starting to charge again.  Anyone with this type of behavior ?

Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RussArlo47 wrote:

Tried to contact Support, but it seems to be automated. 

Phone support requires a subscription.  If you have one, then you can go into the support area of the app, and select a camera that has a subscription.  Then scroll down to the contact section, and you will see an option for phone support.

@RussArlo47 wrote:

So I bought these cameras from Arlo in August and been up for a couple of months.  Now all of a sudden I'm experiencing poor battery life.  The battery dropped from 100% down to 30% in a matter of days.  Even with a Solar Panel connected to it.  Now winter has arrived and I'm worried that the cameras battery will not last !  

Battery life will be shorter in the winter - all batteries produce less power when it is cold.

However, the main causes of battery drain are

• the amount of video streaming
  • poor signal quality/connection drops

You might check the amount of recording/streaming the camera is doing, as it is likely that has recently increased.

@RussArlo47 wrote:

Get a real battery !! Maybe i just need to invest in another 100$ and upgrade to XL battery ? 

The standard battery is a decent size (4800 mah/ 18.48Wh).  Unfortunately the battery life specs that all camera manufacturers use assume a small number of recordings per day - which sets incorrect expectations for customers.

Although upgrading to XL does cost, the XL battery is a lot bigger - and is the direct path to getting a longer battery life.  I've done that with some of my cameras, and am satisfied with the result. The XL is heavier, longer, and can't be used with the magnetic mount.  Note you can't just buy the battery - you need the kit that includes the larger housing.

@RussArlo47 wrote:

Another issue, is that i tried to charge the dog gone camera and it failed to charge it.  Now after two days, it's starting to charge again. 

This can happen sometimes if the battery is completely drained.  Best to charge it before it reaches that point.

Another way this can happen is if the magnetic connection isn't fully seated.

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

RussArlo44  I too am having charging issues with the Arlo 4 Pro the past few days and I use solar Panels on both Cameras.  I have done a help post here https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-4/Arlo-4-Pro-Cameras-using-Solar-Issue/m-p/1886226#M6473 today and wondering if maybe it is a firmware problem ie; re update.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation