Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Access Captured Video Via LAN ON Base Stations Plus Specs and Functionality

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
IBUYHOUSES
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,
   How many Models of Base stations Are There And Is There One Location/Matrix I Can View To Compare The Specs and Functionality? Without a Subscription, Is There a Base Station Model That I Can Access My Videos From My IPad Without Having To Physically Remove a USB or SD Storage Card? Without Being a Network Engineer or Paying a Monthly Fee, Is There Anyway To Access My Video Clips Via Local Network On Any Of The Arlo Base Stations or Is This By Design?

I Purchased 6 Arlo 4 Cameras and Was Disappointed When The “Trial” Ran Out, I Subsequently Purchased a VMB4500 Base Station Since I Preferred USB Storage. I Am Again Disappointed ☹️ I Cannot Access Videos Via My Network, At Least Now They Are Stored On The USB Drive, However It Is Very Cumbersome To Review Recent Videos.

I use a 64G PNY Duo Link Which Has USB & Apple Lightning Connectors, It Required Formatting When Initially Installed. Does The VMB4540 Allow Access To The Captured Videos via The Local Network? VMB5000 SD? VMB4000? Does Any Base Station Model Allow Convenient Access?

Thanks, Walt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The two smarthub (VMB4540 and VMB5000) support direct access to local storage.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Unfortunately the VMB4500 you purchased does not.

There are some limitations

• videos can only be accessed from the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • videos cannot be accessed from my.arlo.com (only from the app)
  • manual recording is not supported
  • no thumbnails
  • It does take some skills/knowledge to enable port forwarding in your router, so you can access videos when away from home.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The two smarthub (VMB4540 and VMB5000) support direct access to local storage.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Unfortunately the VMB4500 you purchased does not.

There are some limitations

• videos can only be accessed from the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • videos cannot be accessed from my.arlo.com (only from the app)
  • manual recording is not supported
  • no thumbnails
  • It does take some skills/knowledge to enable port forwarding in your router, so you can access videos when away from home.

IBUYHOUSES
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks For Sharing Stephen. How About The VMS4350 Base Station That Comes In The Bundle Set With Pro 4XL Cameras? It’s Difficult To Get The Right Base Station Components When The Model Numbers Aren’t Listed On The Box Or In The Descriptions. Adding To My Confusion Are The Myriad Of Devices Which Seem To Have Unknown Trade Offs Around Each New Corner...

So Once I Buy a Base Station That Allows Me To Access The Videos, I Will Have To Figure Out Port Forwarding To View Videos Remotely?

With The VMB4500 I Have Now, My Spouse Can View The Live Streams Remotely Through The App, Will We Keep This Functionality With The VMB4540? VMS4350? Thanks Again, Walt

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@IBUYHOUSES wrote:

With The VMB4500 I Have Now, My Spouse Can View The Live Streams Remotely Through The App, Will We Keep This Functionality With The VMB4540? 

Yes for live streams.  But not the recorded videos if you use direct access to local storage.

@IBUYHOUSES wrote:

VMS4350? 

All the bases (including smarthubs) start with VMB.  Cameras start with VMC, accessories start with VMA.

System SKUs start with VMS, they aren't all that useful here because it's hard to figure what what components are included.  When I look for VMS4350 on shop.arlo.com, I see a 3-camera Pro-4 bundle, that doesn't seem to include any base.

@IBUYHOUSES wrote:

So Once I Buy a Base Station That Allows Me To Access The Videos, I Will Have To Figure Out Port Forwarding To View Videos Remotely?

Yes.

IBUYHOUSES
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks! Does The VMB5000 Provide Any Additional Capabilities Other Than It Using SD Card Media, Possibly Allowing Guest Access? Are You Aware Of Any Planned Future Software/Hardware Upgrades That Allow Less Restricted Local Access Without a Cloud Subscription?
Thanks Again And Happy Holidays! ☃️🎄❄️ Walt

IBUYHOUSES
Tutor
Tutor

Thank You, For Reference I Believe That SKU VMS4350 Is Product #1557527 Containing a VMB4540 Smart Base and 3 PRO4 XL Cameras. I’ve Also Seen Product #1557523, 2 Ultra XL 4K Camera Set With VMB5000 SD Card Smart Base 🤔😝 

Off Topic, But Do The Ultra XL 4K Cameras Provide The Same Functionality With Better Resolution Than The PRO 4 Cameras, Or Is There a Trade-Off Consideration? 😵💫

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The functional difference between the 4540 and 5000 is the use of a USB drive (4540) and a micro SD card (5000). Both allow guest access since that's an account function, not one controlled by the hub.

The basic differences between the Pro 4 and Ultra XL are 2k video (Pro 4) and 4k video as well as longer batter life (Ultra XL).

Jkirkthomas
Aspirant
Aspirant

How can you access an old video from 2018? The following information was in the email:

Arlo has detected motion on one of your cameras. Here are the details:

4N716678BB77D at 7:05:48 PM CDT on Jun 17 2018

Click here to see what’s happening.

When I click on the "Click here" it says the "Link for sharing is not valid" 

https://my.arlo.com/#/viewShared/99D9C0CF1A17307C_201806

I can not get help from ARLO because I no longer have a subscription, but I had one at the time the camera took the video. It seems unethical or possibly illegal to take back something I paid for. The videos are extremely important. They are video's that captured a crime.

Can any one help me?

Thank you.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jkirkthomas,

Video content will remain in the cloud for up 30 days with a subscription. Beyond that time frame, all cloud content is erased. If you wish to save cloud content beyond these time frames, it is encouraged that you download the content from your cloud library and save it locally. There is no way to recover erased content.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation