Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

motion detection problems

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Tehmonkeh
Tutor
Tutor

I am having issues with motion detection on my front yard / driveway camera.  I have tried repositioning and it hasn't made any difference.  My driveway is about 2-3 car lengths long and it's not detecting motion until it somebody gets about 2 steps from my house. I had it centered on driveway pointing straight out and then I moved it off center so that people walking up the driveway are moving more right to left across the field of view.  nothing has helped.  

I am not sure what else to try but I can't seem to get any good video / images on my device as people are off the screen within a second or less of the camera starting to record.  I have screenshots, but I don't see a way to upload those which would be super helpful.  but that's all I got, can anybody give me some ideas or help? 

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tehmonkeh wrote:

My driveway is about 2-3 car lengths long and it's not detecting motion until it somebody gets about 2 steps from my house. 

I am not sure what else to try 

Have you tried the motion detection test?  https://kb.arlo.com/1114344/How-do-I-use-the-motion-detection-test-for-my-Arlo-device

Also, if you have more than one camera, it might be worth swapping them and see if the problem continues.

@Tehmonkeh wrote:

My driveway is about 2-3 car lengths long

That would translate to 30-45 feet for most cars. The PIR sensor range is less than that (20-25 feet).

Tehmonkeh
Tutor
Tutor

I thought it may be an issue with it being too far away to detect the motion; however while it has trouble picking up the people until they are right on top of my house, it's picking up cars that are on the very edge of the screen, and often, completely outside of any activity zones I have setup which doesn't make sense.  it's like there is a gap in where it picks up movement.

I haven't tried the motion detection you linked, but I will give that a shot this afternoon.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tehmonkeh wrote:

I thought it may be an issue with it being too far away to detect the motion; however while it has trouble picking up the people until they are right on top of my house, it's picking up cars that are on the very edge of the screen, and often, completely outside of any activity zones I have setup which doesn't make sense.  it's like there is a gap in where it picks up movement.

If often will pick up vehicles that are further away, and it is designed to detect things moving into the field of view from the edges.

It's true that there can be a lag.  I suggest connecting USB flash storage, and looking at the video saved there.  Look for files that are either missing from the cloud storage altogether, and also check for recordings that are longer (particularly at the beginning).

Note that local storage will include all recordings - including ones that are outside the activity zone.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation