Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

local recording recommendations

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice

I would like to start recording locally.  Any recommendations as to what type of media storage device I should us?

4 REPLIES 4
dcfox1
Master
Master

Anything greater then 16 GB will work now. Some people have had problems with certain brands but I have a cheap Scandisk 32 GB thumb drive that works fine and is simpler then a usb hard drive. If you want more storage you can go bigger. 

rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you.

I know, for instance, drone manufacturers recommend a certain SD card so I was thinking maybe this would follow suit is why I asked the question. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The drone issue may be related to the speed of the card so specifying certain brands/models help minimize support issues. Arlo uses USB2.x so there's really no need for anything "out there" although certain low-end drives could be an issue if the write speed is too slow. That can be checked on a computer by copying files to the drive and monitoring the speed. I'd say at least 5 megabytes per second should be plenty.

rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Exactly.  If the recording speed of the card was not up to snuff for the drone it wouldn't work.  I thought maybe the same applied here as well for the Pro 3 cams.  Thanks for the heads up.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation