Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

WiFi range extension

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Say_no_to_2FA
Star
Star

One of my P3 cameras in the garden has less than ideal WiFi signal due to proximity to my base station. Moving the base station isn’t an option unfortunately. I’m familiar with WiFi extenders, would they work or do the cameras use a proprietary hidden SSID or something that would prevent it from working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Say_no_to_2FA
Star
Star

So the precision answer is that no, Arlo cameras do not work with WiFi range extenders. However, it may be possible to extend WiFi range by moving the base station, if your setup permits.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dcfox1
Master
Master

If you get a wifi extender or powerline extender with a Ethernet port you can move the base and plug it in to that to a more centralized location or buy a second base/hub for that. 

Say_no_to_2FA
Star
Star

No, as per original post, moving the base isn’t an option as it would create a bigger issue for even more cameras. The question is can a range extender be used to extend a camera?

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Say_no_to_2FA wrote:

No, as per original post, moving the base isn’t an option as it would create a bigger issue for even more cameras. The question is can a range extender be used to extend a camera?

No as the Pro3 cams need to connect to the base/hub. That's why I gave you the options you would have in case you just had a Ethernet connection at your router for the reason of not moving the base/hub. The Pro4 and Essential can connect directly to your wifi. 

Say_no_to_2FA
Star
Star

So the precision answer is that no, Arlo cameras do not work with WiFi range extenders. However, it may be possible to extend WiFi range by moving the base station, if your setup permits.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Say_no_to_2FA wrote:

So the precision answer is that no, Arlo cameras do not work with WiFi range extenders. 

That's true for the Pro 3, but there are Arlo cameras that will connect directly to your home WiFi w/o a base.  Those can connect to extenders or mesh networks.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation