Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
apws
Follower
Follower

I bought an Arlo system about 3.5 years ago - two cameras and a hub.

I'm not really interested in a subscription - I don't need anyone else monitoring the system or any of the special features. I just want the features that I had for three years

- seeing what's on the cameras

- defining activity areas

- notifications when movement is detected

- recording clips when motion is detected

- storage on the hub of recorded clips

I bought this system specifically because it had a hub, so I could store the recordings locally and not have to rely on someone else's servers (after having been burned by Belkin).

Now I find that all those features have been removed from my system. The hub is essentially useless and I can't access anything that was recorded on the USB stick that is attached to it. I can't seem to do anything at all apart from see a live view. I can't even find out what model of camera is in use, which used to be displayed in the app but even that has been removed.

Am I missing something here, or did Arlo remove all the features that I bought this system for and leave me with an extremely expensive, underpowered webcam?

2 REPLIES 2
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The model numbers can be found for each device via the settings menu and selecting support page and looking at the details each device.

which arlo app experience do you have showing, the library or feed?

the library is the original version that works, Feed is the new version with bits missing.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@apws wrote:

I bought this system specifically because it had a hub, so I could store the recordings locally and not have to rely on someone else's servers (after having been burned by Belkin).

Let's circle back and identify exactly what you have.  There is a VMBxxxx label on the base, please let us know what it says.  As @DannyBearAgain says, if you open the cameras and remove the batteries, you will see a label there too.

Note that any recordings you are seeing in the PC browser (my.arlo.com) were stored in the cloud.  Likely the recordings you saw in the app also (unless you have a VMB4540 or VMB5000 smarthub and enabled direct access to local storage).

Some cameras (not all) support activity zones w/o a sub when they are AC powered.  But activity zones when running on battery power is a subscription feature.  

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation