Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

When motion detected, need ability to "do nothing" while also de-selecting "push notifications"

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
majduty
Aspirant
Aspirant

Subject sums it up perfectly.

When motion is detected you do not have the option to "do nothing" while also de-selecting "push notifications". This is a gross oversight by the software engineers, in my opinion, and an update to the android app is desperately needed.

If you do not want to receive push notifications you have to select "record video" in order for the save button to enable. When a camera is inside the home where there is constant action is happening the camera is constantly recording, draining your battery extremely fast and filling up your storage.

If you choose "do nothing" you then HAVE TO select "push notifications" in order for the "save" to turn green and save. So then you are not recording video but your phone is blowing up with push notifications.

The customer needs the ability to select "do nothing" and also de-selecting "push notifications". I'm shocked this isn't an option. 

PLEASE UPDATE THE ANDROID APP. It would probably take a developer a half hour to write this code.

12 REPLIES 12
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi majduty,

If you don't want to receive push or email notifications and want the camera to do nothing when it detects motion/audio, you can use the "Disarmed" mode. You can read more about the rules here: What are modes and rules and how does Arlo use them?

majduty
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi. Thank you for the reply but..

That disarms all cameras. I don't want to do that
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

You can use custom mode to choose which camera you would like to be armed or disarmed. You can read here to learn how to use custom modes: How do I create a mode with different rules for each Arlo camera?

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can also go to that camera's settings and turn it off. When you want it to start again say at night or when you're gone simply turn it back on.

majduty
Aspirant
Aspirant
I appreciate all the feedback and I will attempt one of these custom modes but I maintain that a user needs the ability to simply select do not record video and do not send push notifications in lieu of turning cameras on and off constantly disabling and re-enabling and creating some sort of special modes.

We're up to Arlo4 now and this very basic feature is not included in the app and in my opinion needs to be fixed as soon as possible. The coding can't possibly be that complicated
dcfox1
Master
Master

What you are trying with modes is the same as disarm mode. (camera do nothing) What are you trying to do that we are missing. 

majduty
Aspirant
Aspirant
No. This doesn't work. Even if I want to go through that 19 step custom mode process as soon as you click do not record video you have to either choose push notifications or an email alert you cannot deselect both of those so we're right back to the same issue I've always had.

Please just update the app with this very basic user setting requirement

dcfox1
Master
Master

I am not with arlo but if it is just one camera you want to do nothing (not record and no notification) you can just turn it off in the camera's setting on device page.

majduty
Aspirant
Aspirant
When motion is detected, I want to choose "do nothing" and receive no notifications.

When you choose "do nothing" you cannot deselect BOTH "push notifications" AND deselect "email notifications"

It's one or the other so if you do not want any notifications you have to "record video" which drains byour battery in about 5 days in my experience in high traffic areas like your kitchen.

If you want to save the battery then you have to be receiving either email notifications or push notifications constantly on your phone, hundreds of notifications.

I don't want to constantly disable and re-enable this camera every time I leave the house or come into the house it should be a very basic setting: do nothing and receive no notifications.

I'm shocked this is not an option
majduty
Aspirant
Aspirant
I do not want to turn the camera on every time I leave the house and then back off when I return. This is beyond rediculous
majduty
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for the reply

I don't want it off. I want it on.

I don't want to repeatedly turn it in and off and I don't want notifications blowing up my phone but I don't want to record video either, with every movement, which is all day long, as this drains your battery in 5 days.
majduty
Aspirant
Aspirant
I've fully explained it in my replies, and in the subject alone, actually, so if you're not understanding the issue then you can't possibly help me with an answer, which I already know is to update the app with this very basic setting parameter
Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation