Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Unreliable VMB4540 Pro3 Smart Hub due to interference from nearby 2.4 gHz WiFi Wireless Access Point

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
conr2286
Aspirant
Aspirant

My neighbor's VMB4540 Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub cannot maintain reliable communication with its cameras.  The signal strength, when it's working, reported by the cameras is good...excellent.  The time to failure is minutes...hours.  The failure is an off-line message observed in the mobile app and no updates for hours.  The workaround is to power-off a nearby Wireless Access Point after which the SmartHub operates for days without issue.  My WiFi sniffer found the SmartHub and the Wireless Access Point (WAP) operating on the same 2.4 gHz channel (6).  Other community posts suggest changing the WAP's channel does not resolve the problem because the SmartHub follows the WAP's channel change(!).  Can Arlo recommend a 2.4 gHz Wireless Access Point that avoids the pitfall of the one-channel-fits-all design?  The only workaround I've devised is to convince my neighbors to move their WAP to 5 gHz; anyone have a better idea?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since you found the issue, the easier thing to do would be to move the hub or extender to increase the distance between them. 

As for how to change channels, the technical reason for use of the same channel is to avoid more interference due to different channels being close to each other. It may sound silly but that's the reason. To change channels, you need physical separation between devices.

conr2286
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah... that was the first thing we tried (to no avail). 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A possible solution would be a second hub for better connections for the cameras connected to each due to more optimal locations.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation