Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Unable to access local storage

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Wraith3845
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been having an issue where I can access locally stored clips on my Hub. I have updated the app but still can't access the videos. The hub shows a card inserted and ready but I constantly get an error message when trying to access it.

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What error message? Are you connected to your home WiFi when attempting this? Are you using a VPN? If so, disable it and try again. Rebooting the hub may help, too.

Wraith3845
Aspirant
Aspirant

The system is connected to WIFI and was working about 4 weeks ago. I'm using an android phone and can't look at local storage when connected to the wifi or remotely. I'm also using the new Arlo app and the message I'm getting is "there was an error obtaining your library. Arlo team is working on the issue. Try again". I am also able to remove the memory stick and look at videos on my laptop.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WHat about the VPN question? Have you tried disabling cell service on the phone so only WiFi is used? Remote access to local recordings requires that you use the information in the local storage settings of the hub so that either a VPN connected supplied by the router or port forwarding allows access to the recordings since those actions allow the remote connection to be seen as if you were on your network.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Also, it would be helpful to know if this feature worked for you in the past [or not].

FWIW, I'd start with local access.

If you haven't tried this test, then I suggest turning off mobile data on the phone, and also any VPNs you might use.  Then see if you can access the videos when the phone only is connected to your home wifi.

Note iOS has permission settings for each app, saying whether if can use home wifi and/or mobile data.  It's been a while since I had an Android phone, but I think there are similar settings in Android.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

Note iOS has permission settings for each app, saying whether if can use home wifi and/or mobile data.  It's been a while since I had an Android phone, but I think there are similar settings in Android.  

Fortunately, Android doesn't have a setting like that - any access method is automatically enabled.

Wraith3845
Aspirant
Aspirant

Viewing locally stored data always worked up until a few weeks ago, it was slow but it worked. I also never had to be connected to my own wifi network. I was able to view storage from anywhere I had internet 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That sounds like you were actually viewing cloud recordings. One way to tell the difference is that local recordings require that you download them to see the thumbnail.

Wraith3845
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't subscribe to a monthly plan, it was absolutely local storage. I would have to go into storage and select local and then download clips to view them

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wraith3845 wrote:

I don't subscribe to a monthly plan, it was absolutely local storage. I would have to go into storage and select local and then download clips to view them

Ok.  Then you would have needed to set up either port forwarding or a VPN to see the files remotely.

In any event, it used to work (which is what I was wanting to understand).

Unfortunately the only thing I can think of that might resolve it is to remove the cameras and base from the account, do a factory reset of the base, and then set up everything again.

Wraith3845
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can now see locally stored videos while connected the same wifi network only but that kinda defeats the purpose of a security camera. I'm going to have to check router settings as I've updated to the new app (the problem started before app upgrade) 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wraith3845 wrote:

I'm going to have to check router settings as I've updated to the new app (the problem started before app upgrade) 

First I suggest assigning an IP address to the smarthub in the router.  Most routers have that feature, although it has a several different names.  Netgear just calls it "Address Reservation".  Others might call it "IP address reservation", "Mac address reservation", "DHCP reservation", "Static NAT",  or "ARP binding".

Assigning the IP address ensures that port forwarding always reaches the smarthub, even if the network is rebooted later on.

Then if you are using port forwarding, then make sure the router is forwarding the correct ports.  You can also use a port checker to make sure that the ports are actually open (not blocked by the ISP, or perhaps because you are double-routing).  One port checker site you can use is

Personally I use OpenVPN instead of port forwarding.  That is a feature of my Orbi router.  Many higher end routers have a built-in VPN for remote access (not always OpenVPN). 

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation