Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Unable to Discover Arlo Pro 3 Smart Hub

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JGrish10
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have had the Arlo Pro system for several years. I recently bought an Arlo Pro 3 system to upgrade with the new camera but I’m struggling to get it connected. After plugging in the (VMB4540) Smart Hub to ethernet and power the LED goes blue, but can not be discovered when I try to add it via my phone or from arlo.com. I am using an Orbi mesh system that I purchased a month ago. My old Arlo Pro system carried over with no issues once I hard wired it in. The cameras worked with no issues. After I tried setting up the new system and had trouble getting it to discover the Smart Hub, I then removed my Arlo Pro base station along with the associated cameras. That did not help. When I pull up my Orbi app, I can see the Arlo Pro 3 Smart Hub is connected and has an IP, it just won’t be discovered on the app or online to set up. Help!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JGrish10
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

Turns out my upload speed didn't meet the requirements to discover the base station.  I actually took the system over to another person's internet and was above to discover the SmartHub and all cameras.  I took the system back to my house and the cameras now work just fine.  Thank you for all the help!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try resetting the hub by holding the reset button until the LED flashes amber. Let it reboot and try again. You can also try connecting the cable directly to the main router rather than a satellite.

JGrish10
Aspirant
Aspirant
Good morning,

I have reset the hub several times until it flashes amber. I have held it down as long as over a minute, but it usually starts flashing around 15 seconds or so.

It is hard wired directly into the router and not a satellite. Interestingly enough, I am using the same Ethernet that was hard wired to my original Arlo Pro that was previously working, but now I can’t discover it either after trying. I had both hooked up and both showed up on my Orbi app as connected, but I couldn’t discover either one.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JGrish10,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

JGrish10
Aspirant
Aspirant
James,

I sat on a chat with support for about an hour two nights ago and they only walked me through the basics: ensure the Ethernet is plugged in first, then power on; Reset the smart hub while holding down for a minute; reset my router; delete the app and reinstall; try discovering through Arlo.com. None of the above worked. They mentioned trying to open some ports but then couldn’t explain how to do it or that it would help. That’s why I have reached out to this forum. I need additional support and don’t know what to do! Help!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JGrish10,

The blue LED indicates that SmartHub has an internet connection. The discovery issue could be due to a configuration within your network.

Do you experience the same behavior when you attempt setup via a PC or laptop that is connected to the same network?

JamesC

JGrish10
Aspirant
Aspirant
James,

I have 3 things hard wired into the Orbi router: 1) desktop PC - has no issues with connectivity 2) AirTV2 with HD Antenna for local tv - no issues to my knowledge 3) Arlo Pro 3 Smart Hub - issues

Everything else is connecting through WiFi and I do not have any issues after entering in my password. I am currently writing this message while on my WiFi only with cellular data off on my phone.

Any ideas? Thanks!
JGrish10
Aspirant
Aspirant
Also, I have tried discovering the Smart Hub on my hard wired desktop with no luck.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JGrish10,

Take a look here, there are some others in this discussion having issues with Orbi due to a recent firmware release. The last post in this thread offers a potential router configuration change that could help resolve the issue.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/Arlo-ultra-base-station-keeps-going-offline-with-Orbi-satel...

JamesC

JGrish10
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good morning James,

Unfortunately, my settings were already at the corrected values so that was not my issue.  I went ahead and rebooted my router anyway and it still has not helped.  I do not know what else to do.  Any other ideas?  I honestly don't want to return my system, but at this point it just sits on my desk and is a really expensive paper weight.  Thanks!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JGrish10,

I will escalate your open support ticket on this issue and request an update.

JamesC

JGrish10
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

Appreciate the help.  Someone reached out, but the question went back to ensuring that ports 80, 123, and 443 were open, which they are.  Hopefully there is some additional support here.  I'll give it a few more days.  Thank you.

Jerrad

Case #41505836.

JGrish10
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

Turns out my upload speed didn't meet the requirements to discover the base station.  I actually took the system over to another person's internet and was above to discover the SmartHub and all cameras.  I took the system back to my house and the cameras now work just fine.  Thank you for all the help!

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation