Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Elder_Berry
Aspirant
Aspirant

Once again, Arlo's stupid 2-factor authentication locked me out of using MY cameras.  Got on the phone, Arlo demands a code. But I must get the code from? Email or text. Neat. Except to get a code I have to go to another page of whatever method and get the code(email, text). That means leaving the Arlo sign-in page.

But when I return with the code, Whoops, Arlo doesn't recognize this and restarts the sign-in process. Oh, I and need a new code. Which I get from switching out of the sign-in page.  And this goes on. It's a very ill-considered system and effectively robs me of the use of my cameras until I can on a second device to get the MF code.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Elder_Berry wrote:

Once again, Arlo's stupid 2-factor authentication locked me out of using MY cameras.  Got on the phone, Arlo demands a code. But I must get the code from? Email or text. Neat. Except to get a code I have to go to another page of whatever method and get the code(email, text). That means leaving the Arlo sign-in page.

If you are logging in from another instance of the app, then you can trust the device.

If you are logging in from a PC browser:  This uses a web push on my PCs (going to the primary phone), with no need to enter a code. 

If you didn't set up your phone as a trusted device, you should do that.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Elder_Berry wrote:

If you are logging in from another instance of the app, then you can trust the device.

If you are logging in from a PC browser:  This uses a web push on my PCs (going to the primary phone), with no need to enter a code. 

If you didn't set up your phone as a trusted device, you should do that.

Elder_Berry
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thought I had already done that but will try again. Of course, Arlo could always let people opt-out and let us use our property as we wish, but why do that? Reading through the forums I see I am not the only very dissatisfied customer. I assume this must be the goal as they do not seem to care.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Elder_Berry wrote:

I assume this must be the goal as they do not seem to care.

Obviously a controversial topic, but wherever you land on it, I don't think "they don't care" is an accurate way to describe their position on it.  Hacked accounts can result lot of damage to their customers and many people will opt-out for convenience -  not considering or understanding the implications (no matter what is in the agreement they click through).   A lot of nasty stuff happened to Ring users back at the end of 2019/early 2020. 

While I would definitely prefer 2FA being optional, I can see why both Arlo and Ring chose not to do that. 

Elder_Berry
Aspirant
Aspirant

They have taken back some of the rights of ownership. That is wrong. I own it and I, solely, should be allowed to operate it as I wish without their unilateral interference no matter how well-meaning.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Elder_Berry wrote:

They have taken back some of the rights of ownership. That is wrong. I own it and I, solely, should be allowed to operate it as I wish without their unilateral interference no matter how well-meaning.

As I said, controversial.

Anyway, you own the cameras and base stations, but you do not own the Arlo service that you are logging in to.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation