Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Timestamp on Arlo downloaded video

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Teza19
Initiate
Initiate

Hello,

I appreciate that this has been done to death, but I feel compelled to post about it considering some misinformation being shared around.

First and foremost; how is this NOT a standard feature? The recording downloads are useless, from a legal standpoint, without a timestamp on the clip. Now, for the preparation of the standard rebuttals:

1. The fact that it downloads with the epoch in the filename is completely useless. File names can be changed...
  2. The metadata does NOT get pulled accurately. All dates displayed using the likes of mediainfo and exiftool show when the file was modified and/or downloaded. Not created. Also useless.

@Arloplease add timestamps to your video recordings! 

2 REPLIES 2
Mikey94025
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unfortunately any metadata tags can easily be modified after the fact.  A visible timestamp within the video contents itself is more untouchable, however there's still no guarantee that the clock time is accurate.  What legal scenario are you concerned about?  These home camera units are hardly serious security systems.

Teza19
Initiate
Initiate
Let’s say someone steals something from my garden, and they are captured on footage. They can dispute that they weren’t there at that time, because I have no evidence of the actual time.

If they aren’t security cameras what are they? They are marketed as such
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation