Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
BlackDot
Guide
Guide

Hi Everyone,

I had the same issues as so many other Windows users out there when trying to playback library 2K or 4K video from Arlo Ulta, Pro 3 or Pro 4. Getting a message that says:

Error: This video is not able to play in your browser. Please Download to view.

In all the forum posts I’ve seen so far, the ‘Accepted Solution’ is directing people to an Arlo knowledge base post as seen below. While the intention is there to help, if you’re a Windows user you’re no further ahead than you were before.

Which devices are supported for HEVC 4K or 2K playback?

https://kb.arlo.com/000062189/Which-devices-are-supported-for-HEVC-4K-or-2K-playback

Issue:

Most Windows browsers doesn’t support HEVC codec or playback of these streams. Above link doesn't lead you to an actual supported browser.

Solution:

If you download the latest version of Microsoft Edge (Chromium) Browser (which you probably have already because of automatic windows updates) and install the Microsoft HEVC Video Extension codec  (linked below), all your problems will go away.

Microsoft Buy HEVC Video Extensions (Microsoft Store)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions/9nmzlz57r3t7

The codec from the Microsoft store cost $1.29 CAD and installed directly from the store. Quick reboot and I can now watch my 2K or 4K videos in my video library without having to download. When searching in google for ‘Microsoft HEVC Video Extensions’ there were options for free codec that may also work but for the small cost, just easier to download clean from Microsoft and call it done.

I only tried this out on the Windows Edge (Chromium) version and it works flawlessly now. Although Chrome is generally my preferred browser, if it means I need to use Edge for ‘my Arlo video playback’ then that’s fine by me. At least it’s a working solution.

Hope this is helpful for others.

Cheers!

9 REPLIES 9
dcfox1
Master
Master

You still need a device with hardware support with Edge as discussed before. I can view them using Desktop with a Vid card but not on Windows surface tablet that obviously does not. I have always had the HEVC download and current updates. I assume you are using a device with hardware support. 

BlackDot
Guide
Guide

To my original post - I should mention that my setup is as follows:

Lenovo Carbon X1 4th Gen (laptop - not tablet)

Intel i5-6200U, 64-bit

Windows 10 Professional (20H2)

Purchased in 2016 so no bleeding edge

Mileage may vary for those on surface or other tablets as such. Admittedly, I haven't looked into the hardware requirements of HVEC codec and only stating what worked well for me and hoping it helps others too.

The important takeaway is that Microsoft have HVEC codecs that can be used by Edge web browser provided you have the underlying hardware in your system. If yes, you're likely in a good way and the above mentioned should work.

Good luck.

BlackDot
Guide
Guide

Did you try the above mentioned solution? I was able to play downloaded HVEC videos on my machine before installing the Microsoft codec but received that error message in my web browser. After installing the codec, it immediately worked in the browser.

My computer has no special video card and is using what's built into the i5-6200U, which is the Intel HD Graphics 520 engine - again nothing special and I'd be very surprised if your surface (which is a premium product) with the higher resolution touch display doesn't have equal and/or better graphics hardware than my Lenovo Carbon from 5 years ago.

What is the exact model of your Surface?

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I purchased the above codec some time ago, for me it did not work.

There were however times when I could play them on my older computer then a update from either Arlo or Microsoft would come along then they wouldn't play again. Since mid December I have not been able to play them on my older computer but they play just fine on my laptop.

BlackDot
Guide
Guide

@K80Shooter 

I know it definitely doesn't work on all browsers, but if it helps, I'm using the latest version of Microsoft Edge (Chromium) if you want to try with the exact same version and the HEVC codec extension I downloaded from the Microsoft Store released (02/21/2018).

Microsoft Edge Version 87.0.664.75 (Official build) (64-bit)

Just spitballing here, you might consider updating to the latest Edge browser and then re-installing the Microsoft HEVC Video Extensions so that they register with the latest browser. I'm obviously not a programmer or expert in IT topics for that matter, just trying to be as detailed with my own setup that 'worked' in hopes that others can mimic the same.

Good luck

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When I get back to that computer I will check the browser version.

It is Edge by the way and I'm sure it has the latest version but I will double check to make sure. I know that if I download the clip then it plays using that codec. I'll also delete the codec and reinstall then report back here.

BlackDot
Guide
Guide

@K80Shooter 

There are two streams of the Microsoft Edge browser floating around but for your average person (like myself), it's not obvious which one you're using until you dig a bit deeper. You can find more details about the two versions from the Wikipedia page (linked below), but I've included the short summary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Edge

Microsoft Edge Legacy

The Edge browser was initially built with Microsoft's own proprietary browser engine EdgeHTML and their Chakra JavaScript engine, a version now referred to as Microsoft Edge Legacy.

Microsoft Edge (Chromium Based)

In 2019, Microsoft announced plans to rebuild the browser as Chromium-based with Blink and V8 engines. This is the current version being pushed through windows update and the same version I'm using a for library playback. 

I also learned that if you have an older install of Windows 10 that has gone through all the updates (progressed through version 1809, 1903, 1909, 2004 etc), you will have both versions of the Edge browser available to you except in theory, the legacy version is just hidden and they remove the Icon from the start menu and task bar. If you search for 'Edge' on your computer however, you should come back with two results or two icons, one will be the older blue coloring for the legacy version and the other will be a refreshed icon for the newer Chromium version. Take note of which browser you're opening to ensure it's the latest version.

If you've just done a fresh install into Windows 10 build 20H2 then the only browser available is the new Chromium based version eliminating a possible culprit.

Again, hopefully this is all useful to others trying to get their setups to work on a Windows PC in the browser.

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have Windows 10 build 20H2 and Edge Version 87.0.664.75 (Official build) (64-bit)

I deleted the codec and reinstalled but still it wont play unless I download it on my computer. I'm sure it will one day start back to working as it has done this several times in the past.

ArloWatcher
Luminary
Luminary

Today I just got feed up with having to download videos because of the "This video is not able to play in your browser. Please download to view. " error message. A little searching in the forum and I found this thread. Followed the instructions and hey, no more error messages and the 4k videos play.

@BlackDot  Thanks for the fix.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation