Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
ChoSepe
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have spent 9 hours over 6 different calls trying to resolve this.

Each call I learn something new- today (I am still on the phone 2 hours and 7 min on my 3rd hold) I was told that it is a know issue that the USB is not working on some smart hubs w Pro 3's. They said it is issue # 11269

Well.... since it was very unclear to me (and still is on their web site) I did not realize that the 3's do not get 7 days of cloud storage.  The site simply says it comes with 3 month trial and after that you would need to subscribe to get the smart features.  Just like the 2's  if I subscribe I can get smart features / 30 days recording so why would I NOT think you can get the 7 days free like the 2's?  So.... I have Pro's 3 that do not record locally or to the cloud- this simply means that my Pro 3's are useless.  To me that falls under 1 year warrantee- as in does not work / is defective.  Well so far they will not let me return them even though it wont record a video- basically it is a baby monitor - and I dont have a baby!!  Sales just mentioned if I want them to record I can get a subscription- so I gave them an option to give me a free subscription until they fix the issue or take the unless cameras and hub back (still on hold for the next person to answer that and or to transfer me to another person who will transfer me.)

Conclusion- worse customer service I have EVER received.  Product was good until smart hub stopped working.  Just finished my 3 hour call and they were not able to put on a supervisor so I am back to square one.  I still cant believe that they wont fix my very simple issue- the cameras will not do what they said they will do.  I highly highly recommend doing with another brand.

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ChoSepe,

Arlo Pro 3 cameras require an Arlo Smart subscription for recordings to be saved with the cloud. After your 3 month trial expires, you will need to purchase a subscription to continue receiving cloud recordings.

You can also set up local storage (recordings can be saved locally with or without an Arlo Smart subscription). For more information on how this works, take a look here: What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it?

JamesC

ChoSepe
Aspirant
Aspirant

If you read my post- it is about the USB not working not cloud. 

Seems clear to me- the hardware is not working, I can NOT record video.

I would like to either return the defective gear.  If all Pro 3's are not recording to USB external drive I would like a refund and I will downgrade the the Pro 2's which are working in my system.  If you can send Pro 3's that are tested to record to USB external drive great.  If you are planning to do a firmware patch that will fix this- I would like free cloud storage until that happens.  Is it clear- my camera's are NOT recording to USB which they state they can do.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My hubs are recording to USB just fine. WHat have you done to try to fix the problem? Is the drive formatted to FAT32? Are you using a computer or the hub to format? Have you tried a different drive?

The cameras aren't the problem - all they can do is send data. The hub is the part that has to record. I would start by removing all devices from Settings, My Devices and start fresh to clear out any weirdnesses.

And this forum is not the place for refunds/replacements - it's a user forum for and by us users. You place of purchase is the one to talk to or use the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@ChoSepe wrote:

If all Pro 3's are not recording to USB external drive I would like a refund and I will downgrade the the Pro 2's which are working in my system. 

My Pro 3s write to USB drives just fine, but this can be a tricky thing to set up.

Things to look out for:

• get the formatting of the USB drive right (ask the hub to to it)
  • look for any partitions on the USB drive that can confuse the hub, it may see an unusable partition
  • choose a USB drive that is known to work and not a complicated box that needs external power

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
ChoSepe
Aspirant
Aspirant

My drive use to work until I added the Pro 3's, The same drive that works on my basestation.

All drives work on my base station not the smart hub / pro 3's.

Drives once worked on Smart Hub.

They are formatted correct and do not need external power.

Tech support said this is a know issue.  Conclusion- I have Pro 3's that do not record to the usb device as advertised.  All of my Pro 3's are exterior and I can not record video which makes them useless.  What is the solution?  I thought my choices were logical.  Take back the gear and send me ones that work, give me cloud storage until there is a firmware update, or exchange then ? refund me so I can get pro 2's

You have any better solution to those choices?  Thanks

ChoSepe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I replied to the last post first.

This is helpful and I did not know this was a user forum : ) not Arlo tech.

The hub cant format cause it does not recognize the drive.  I am using LaCie rugged 2 T drives.  As I mentioned in last reply- they once did work until I started fresh / removed all devices and set everything up in new locations etc.

I bet if I move my Pro 2's to the smart hub- the usb will work again.

Just sick of trying to fix this after 10 hours of tech support and they are so un helpful.  Said they will escalate issue, said to email photos and stay on the line till they confirm getting them, said they would call back etc and nothing.  All I want from any company that I support is support back.  I think all I am left to do is write bad reviews and spread the bad word.  

ChoSepe
Aspirant
Aspirant

And thanks for the help!!!!

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

Some things you said were a little bit confusing. 

What do you mean by it was working before you hooked up the Pro 3 cameras. 

What base station are you using? Do you have a mixed environment with different camera?. What kind of USB drive are you using? Was the USB drive moved from a older hub to a new one?

Local storage definitely works as I have been using it for some time. I have two Pro 2 cameras and 1 Pro 3 camera attached to a VMB4540 base station. 

It does have some flakiness when first being setup. The drive has to be big enough, and i think that is atleast 16 or 32GB, and generally needs to either be a very low power drive like a usb flash drive or a powered USB drive as the port doesn't put out allot of power. I started with a 8GB flash drive and a while back that was broke and i had to upgrade. I now have a 500GB USB drive on it. but it has worked well. 

I would also ask how many cameras you have attached to the base station. i have noticed at times when you have many cameras attached to one base station the base station can on occasion have issues with it.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation