Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
LoriJohn
Aspirant
Aspirant
I recently bought a system with pro 3 cameras and a VMB 4540 smart hub. I did not apply to Arlo smart or Arlo secure. The system is working great, but a friend told me that my access to saved videos will go away in three months. I thought that’s what the smarthub was doing for me. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LoriJohn wrote:
I recently bought a system with pro 3 cameras and a VMB 4540 smart hub. I did not apply to Arlo smart or Arlo secure. The system is working great, but a friend told me that my access to saved videos will go away in three months. I thought that’s what the smarthub was doing for me. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks

Have you set up direct access to local storage?  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

dcfox1
Master
Master

@LoriJohn wrote:

You are seeing the cloud recordings now with the trial subscription. When it expires you would need a sub for cloud or use Direct access in the Hub as @StephenB posted. Direct access has many limitations compared to cloud recordings. IMO the sub is worth it when the trial runs out which is simpler but that is up to the individual. 

LoriJohn
Aspirant
Aspirant
I read that but don’t know how to set up either of the two options they provide.
LoriJohn
Aspirant
Aspirant
Why am I seeing the cloud recordings? I intentionally skipped the part of the setup for the “smart” so I could see what it was like without subscription. My intention has been not to use the subscription. I may have to return it if it is not user friendly without subscription.
LoriJohn
Aspirant
Aspirant
Please advise what functions I will lose by using the smarthub vice the subscription.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LoriJohn wrote:
Please advise what functions I will lose by using the smarthub without the subscription.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062312/What-options-will-I-have-when-the-Arlo-trial-ends

dcfox1
Master
Master

@LoriJohn wrote:
Why am I seeing the cloud recordings? I intentionally skipped the part of the setup for the “smart” so I could see what it was like without subscription. My intention has been not to use the subscription. I may have to return it if it is not user friendly without subscription.

The 3 month trial subscription activated automatically at set up with no action on your part. You don't have to sign up for that unless you are past 3 months or set up Direct access for the hub which sounds like you have not done. 

LoriJohn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am very disappointed with Arlo.   My last question was what services will I lose when Arlo cuts off my subscription trial.  I was referred to a site which says what services I will have.  Not what I asked. 

Most concerning is I spoke with two separate Arlo representatives before deciding to buy an Arlo system.  Both times I was told I could use the system without a subscription.  Neither time did the representative give me what I really needed to know.   Now I've found out that many of the features are not available, and most concerning is that I cannot access the stored videos without setting of a VPN in my home.   If that's not the case, please let me know.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LoriJohn wrote:

I am very disappointed with Arlo.   My last question was what services will I lose when Arlo cuts off my subscription trial.  I was referred to a site which says what services I will have.  Not what I asked. 

This is a user-user forum.  I posted that reply, and I don't work for Arlo.  FWIW, neither does @dcfox1 

Explaining what you will still have w/o a subscription is simpler than explaining everything you lose.  One reason is that there are two Arlo subscriptions (Secure and Secure Plus), and what you lose depends on which of those two you have now.  And one feature depends on where you live.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation