Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Remote access through VPN to local storage on Android app

Discussion stats
rlpjsh
Star
Star

Is anyone able to access local storage outside their LAN through a VPN (without port forwarding) using the Android Arlo app? I have no problem accessing local storage when on my LAN but am unable to access when outside through VPN. I have verified that my Android VPN connection is functioning correctly.
[My iPad Arlo app is able to access local storage outside my LAN through VPN without issue. The problem is with the Android app. (Feature request to Arlo: Access local storage through the web on my.arlo.com with thumbnails!)]
I am using a Netgear R6700v3, OpenVPN, No-IP DDNS.
If you are able to access local storage outside your LAN using the Android app without port forwarding, please share your setup, thanks.

Best answers
98 REPLIES 98
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Interesting. I don't have need for this but I tried via the same sort of connection but an R8000p router. When on my WiFi i can choose between cloud and local but not using the VPN. It appears that what I see if from the cloud, not local since local videos have to be selected to see the thumbnail before viewing.

@JamesC ?

rlpjsh
Star
Star

I think it's only fair to make clear to prospective buyers that access to local recordings when outside of your LAN and connecting through a VPN works only when using the iOS app, not on Android (and not via my.arlo.com).

My decision to purchase an Arlo system was based materially on Arlo's claimed ability to access local recordings when remote. There is no caveat that this feature does not work on the Android app and only on iOS.

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

I too was part of the previous thread and I too STILL can't access local storage over VPN. I have the drop down list for the storage source but get "There was an error obtaining your library. Arlo team is working on this issue" when I try to access local storage.

It'd be nice if arlo could release some technical details of how this is supposed to work instead of the stone walled silence. There's some pretty smart people in this group who would only be too willing to assist or work it out if some technical details were available.

I'd add that I also purchased the Utras on a promise that access to local storage would become available in the next 12 months. I had no idea just how short on delivery that promise would be.

arloPro3User
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the same issue.

Isn't this deceiving the buyers?  Arlo says, Direct access storage can be accessed by VPN but it could not be accessed by Android devices(akin to fraud, committing something and not delivering)? I bought my devices based on Arlo's statement that locally stored videos can be accessed via VPN. But this does not seem to be true for accessing via android devices?

I have an OpenVPN server running on Asus Router and i connect via a OpenVPN client to access my home network.

Can someone from Arlo Technical team let us know how we can access locally stored videos via VPN on Android device?

@JamesC can you please let us know if you can access locally stored videos via VPN through Android mobile devices? If yes, please let us know how?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

arloPro3User,

For more information on Direct Storage Access, take a look here: What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it?

If you're experiencing an issue with Direct Storage Access, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@JamesC  I can't use the VPN access, either. This is using a Netgear R8000p with the latest VPN setup file for OpenVPN. The app works fine but no way to select local recordings.

tony_2018
Apprentice
Apprentice

Running into the same issue but even worst is that even with port forwarding I can't download recordings from the past, like 4 days ago.  I click the date, something goes round and round, and then it spits out an error saying theres an issue and support is working on it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just tried port forwarding and it's working fine here for any day that I tried.

tony_2018
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not working for me.  Only on the current date will it work.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Android or iOS? Have you rebooted the phone and reinstalled the app?

tony_2018
Apprentice
Apprentice

Running Android 10, moto g7 with the latest app.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And the rest?

tony_2018
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, reboot phone, base, and reinstall app.  Things I've tried since those are usually the things people say try.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Then my thought would be a router issue. Make sure the proper IP address and port is being used (the Arlo app will provide both). is being 

tony_2018
Apprentice
Apprentice

I assign a static IP to all devices, port forwarding works because I can see the current days local recordings.  If I change dates it searches and just gives me an error that it can't access it.

arloPro3User
Tutor
Tutor

Can you please detail the steps to achieve viewing your videos remotely via android app.

I do not want to use port forwarding, but would still like to find a way to view my videos till Arlo can provide me a response/method to view local videos only via VPN. The responses to my support ticket has been pathetic uptill now.

tony_2018
Apprentice
Apprentice
I never got it working. I pulled the backup drive and connect it to my laptop and it had all footage. Plugged it back in to the base.

Next issue is that the app doesn't see the base even when I'm local and connected to the wifi. Atm I have no internet, due to the hurricane that pass by recently. This is turning me off....
Signman
Guide
Guide

There are several things they don't tell you. If I had to do it all over I wouldn't purchase Arlo.

Ummie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any news from support @JamesC when this will be fixed for Android ? Work fine on IPhone with Wireguard but not on Android (running Android 11). Cloud/local storage will not show.

rlpjsh
Star
Star

This case has been open for 5 months. I have gotten several emails from Support asking if the problem is resolved, to which I keep answering no. I have asked Support to escalate this to their Engineering Dept, but no response.

Sklod
Aspirant
Aspirant

Still can't access local storage through vpn from Android. Any news?

smirk
Guide
Guide
Has Arlo provided any answers?

Samsung Galaxy S10 here. Not really familiar with vpns and what not. I was able to configure OpenVPN on my phone and can verify it's the same public ip as my home wifi. However I can't access the Arlo hub local storage through the app when I'm on the VPN.

Any tips or updates? If anyone from Arlo is reading- please advise if this problem will be resolved before my Costco return policy expires 😶

Thanks!
rlpjsh
Star
Star

Android access to local recordings through VPN has not been fixed.

Sklod
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a an open case with Arlo support, they don't admit this is a known issue. The last two weeks been spent answering more or less irrelevant questions.

Discussion stats