Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
geejaysdee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

I’ve got 3 new Pro3 cameras and a smart hub. The cameras work fine and I can see them on my iPhone, but the smart hub light is always flashing amber - it won’t go blue.  I think that means weak Wi-Fi?  The iPhone app says the hub is online, but the Wi-Fi signal indicator is only 1 bar for all 3 cameras, even though the hub is at most 6m (and 1 outside wall) away. One camera is only 2m away outside the back door and the other is only 3m away outside a window. The third is 6m away. The hub is plugged into a Devolo Wi-Fi extender (plugged into a main power socket) so it’s closer to the cameras, as the house router is about another 4m further inside, so when I first set up, it didn’t like being there. I’ve updated all the firmware to the latest version. 

So my question is - do I need to worry about the flashing amber light?  If I do, any suggestions?  All help gratefully received from folk more knowledgeable than me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@geejaysdee wrote:

The house is made of timber clad cavity wall blockwork.

If the cavity walls are masonry, then there are likely metal wall ties connecting the two walls (spanning the cavity). There could also be foil sheathing under the cladding.   Stuff like that might be blocking the signal.

If the smarthub is near your router, then try running speedtest on your phone (the free ookla app) at the camera location.  Turn off mobile data, so you are certain you are testing wifi speed.  The upload speed is more critical than the download speed.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You likely would have better overall success if you can fix the signal issue. What is the house construction? Stucco, brick and stone all tend to block the signal significantly. If you bring a camera inside, does that improve that camera's signal strength significantly?

geejaysdee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi jguerdat. Thanks for your help. If I put a camera inside, yes the Wi-Fi signal indicator definitely looks more healthy.

The house is made of timber clad cavity wall blockwork. I obviously can’t change that and the cameras need to stay outside, so I don’t know how I could boost the signal outside. I’ve already got the hub as close as I can, albeit inside.

Does the flashing amber on the hub matter, for example does it mean the signal is less secure, or make the cameras slower to respond?  Or shall I just put up with it?  Tbh I’ve found it hard to get clear information about what flashing amber actually indicates; I’ve read different answers to that question. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Here's the FAQ that describes the hub's LED meanings:

https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station-mean

I don't know what "timber clad cavity wall blockwork" is so can't comment on whether something about the construction method is the issue but I suspect it is. If there's a wire mesh used (or lots of metal supports) that would be a clue. ANy insulation in the walls that have a metal moisture barrier would also be a prime candidate.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@geejaysdee wrote:

The house is made of timber clad cavity wall blockwork.

If the cavity walls are masonry, then there are likely metal wall ties connecting the two walls (spanning the cavity). There could also be foil sheathing under the cladding.   Stuff like that might be blocking the signal.

If the smarthub is near your router, then try running speedtest on your phone (the free ookla app) at the camera location.  Turn off mobile data, so you are certain you are testing wifi speed.  The upload speed is more critical than the download speed.

geejaysdee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks!

geejaysdee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation