Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

I recently upgraded a Pro to a Pro 3. I noticed that sometimes when you start live video or get a recording, often the image is distorted. Usually it appears that the bottom 90% of the frame is either distorted colors or mostly green.  Some notes:

- set to Best Video

- powered

- The camera is not near the base station (opposite side of the house), but there are already two other Pro cameras there. 

- the base station is the VMB4000 o

I enabled "auto tracking" and this forced the video from 2K to 1K, and appeared to reduce the frequency of the defect, of it still happens.

QUESTION 1

Is the camera defective or is this something that happens with all Pro 3 cameras when they aren't close to the base station?  There are 2 other Pro cameras near the same location and they never have displayed a distorted image.

QUESTION 2

Does the Arlo camera only talk directly to the base station, or does it actually support talking to a wifi hotspot on the same network as the base station? I have a hotspot near this location.  I noticed that the Arlo Pro 3 Spotlight can be connected directly to the WiFi network, but this is a Pro 3. So I'm asking if the base station  can talk to its devices through WiFi.

QUESTION 3

Would the newer SmartHub VMB4540 have better range or connectivity?  Both models list that they support 4K video and list 300 feet LOS as the range.

QUESTION 4

Is there an extender for the base station? I realize I can move the base station closer to this camera, but then don't want to have a problem with other cameras.  Of course, this is my only Pro 3.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dcfox1
Master
Master

@grillmaster13 wrote:

QUESTION 1

Is the camera defective or is this something that happens with all Pro 3 cameras when they aren't close to the base station?  There are 2 other Pro cameras near the same location and they never have displayed a distorted image.

QUESTION 2

Does the Arlo camera only talk directly to the base station, or does it actually support talking to a wifi hotspot on the same network as the base station? I have a hotspot near this location.  I noticed that the Arlo Pro 3 Spotlight can be connected directly to the WiFi network, but this is a Pro 3. So I'm asking if the base station  can talk to its devices through WiFi.

QUESTION 3

Would the newer SmartHub VMB4540 have better range or connectivity?  Both models list that they support 4K video and list 300 feet LOS as the range.

QUESTION 4

Is there an extender for the base station? I realize I can move the base station closer to this camera, but then don't want to have a problem with other cameras.  Of course, this is my only Pro3.

#1 It may be defective but I have not seen this problem on my Pro3's. May be an interference problem.

#2 The Pro3 only connects to the base but the Floodlight, Pro4 and other newer do connect to wifi. The Pro4 is essentially the 3 with wifi option. 

#3 Can't say if a upgraded base would help but may. 300 feet is in a perfect setting with nothing interfering such as house construction and other devices interference. My one cam at 200ft only gets 2 out of 3 bars but works fine. 

#4 The base more centered could help (it did for me) or even a second base as long as you have an ethernet connection such as wif or powerline extender. 

Have you moved the camera closer to the base to test or any other troubleshooting steps. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dcfox1
Master
Master

@grillmaster13 wrote:

QUESTION 1

QUESTION 2

QUESTION 3

QUESTION 4

Is there an extender for the base station? I realize I can move the base station closer to this camera, but then don't want to have a problem with other cameras.  Of course, this is my only Pro3.

#1 It may be defective but I have not seen this problem on my Pro3's. May be an interference problem.

#2 The Pro3 only connects to the base but the Floodlight, Pro4 and other newer do connect to wifi. The Pro4 is essentially the 3 with wifi option. 

#3 Can't say if a upgraded base would help but may. 300 feet is in a perfect setting with nothing interfering such as house construction and other devices interference. My one cam at 200ft only gets 2 out of 3 bars but works fine. 

#4 The base more centered could help (it did for me) or even a second base as long as you have an ethernet connection such as wif or powerline extender. 

Have you moved the camera closer to the base to test or any other troubleshooting steps. 

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

1) I have tried "re-syncing" the camera to the base and it appears to have helped with the video feed, though when I try to view live it often fails to connect (is stuck showing "Connecting").

3) How far is reasonable through walls and floor?  It's showing two bars, but as noted sometimes has trouble connecting and when I do connect the video is pretty laggy.

4) I will try the base at a different location to see if all the cameras work better. 

However, your comment about adding a second base raises some questions/concerns that I've had for a while.  I am on the legacy Smart Premier plan. I don't want to do anything that will cause me to lose that, since the new plan looks to be almost 3 times more expensive.

If I add a second base, does each base need it's own subscription plan, or does the subscription plan I have apply to the total number of cameras, regardless of the number of bases?

dcfox1
Master
Master

For distance that depends on you house construction Brick, Steel garage door ,or in certain areas as others have stated stucco with wire mesh. Anything that will reduce or block a signal. I would imagine the old steel siding would have an effect but not an expert on that. 

The subscription is limited to the number of cameras not amount of  Hub/Base. I have only seen here losing legacy if you cancel subscription or it runs out you can't get it back. 

Also all except one cam I have 3 of 3 bars except the one around 200 feet or so that has 2 but is fine.  You can also try moving the base as far away from your router as the cord allows.

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

I understand now the problem is that this new camera - though in close proximity to the other two - is behind an extra brick wall and floor.  The other cameras are behind one brick wall, this one was behind two.  Did not realize that brick was really the problem.

Based on your response, I ended up installing a second base station much closer and with a direct view. The camera video now streams very well and there are no issues connecting to it.  In fact, it probably will turn out to be useful that I can have sets of cameras on different modes. So happy with the solution, though I realize it may have been better if I had gotten Pro 4 and could just go direct to the wifi.

My new problem is this Pro 3 is triggering frequently, and the only motion I can see in the video is some big bug flying around. I noticed a cool looking toggle called "Auto Zoom & Tracking" so we'll see if that helps debug what's triggering it.  I may have to disable the spotlight.

thank you! 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation