Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 3 camera won't eject properly from their housing

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
bburkhard3
Tutor
Tutor

Just bought my first set of Pro 3 cameras and starting my install.  At first, all three cameras ejected properly; push the button and they slide out about 1/4 - 1/2 inch.  After closing and reopening a few times, two of the three won't eject properly anymore; push the button, hear the release, but slides out maybe a couple millimeters.  I have to shake loose or try prying with my fingernails.  Seems like maybe a suction issue with the seal but I searched around and didn't see anyone else reporting.  Surly this isn't some freak thing with just the ones I bought.  Thanks in advance for any input.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@bburkhard3 wrote:

Surly this isn't some freak thing with just the ones I bought. 

Nope. I see the same thing. The camera moves out a fraction and is then hard to fully extract.

I did try to use a suction device that would stick to the camera and give me more grip, but the front surface is not flat enough for the thing I used. Maybe Arlo should design something that works, or improve the release mechanism.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@bburkhard3 wrote:

Surly this isn't some freak thing with just the ones I bought. 

Nope. I see the same thing. The camera moves out a fraction and is then hard to fully extract.

I did try to use a suction device that would stick to the camera and give me more grip, but the front surface is not flat enough for the thing I used. Maybe Arlo should design something that works, or improve the release mechanism.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bburkhard3 wrote:

After closing and reopening a few times, two of the three won't eject properly anymore; push the button, hear the release, but slides out maybe a couple millimeters.  

What you are supposed to do is press the release a second time.  I believe this is intended to prevent the camera from falling out of the housing.

bburkhard3
Tutor
Tutor

I have pressed the button multiple times, pressed soft, pressed hard, etc.  This isn't user error.  Based on the first reply, this issue isn't unique to me so I'm just looking to see if anyone has identified a good workaround before I open a case with Arlo support.  I shouldn't have to take my cameras down and shake them in order to replace the battery.  That means repositioning the camera each time to ensure the activity zone(s) are still good.  The documentation says "Press the button on the charging port underneath the camera. The camera clicks as it disengages from the camera housing".  It should be as easy as it says.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bburkhard3 wrote:

I have pressed the button multiple times, pressed soft, pressed hard, etc.  This isn't user error. 

Ok.  Mine release fine when I

1. press the button once
  2. pull the camera out until it stops
  3. press the button again, holding it down while I pull the camera out of the housing the rest of the way.

If yours aren't doing that, then you might need to contact support.

bburkhard3
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks Michael.  Seems like a real issue so I'll just open a support case.  The eject mechanism seems fine so I imagine there's an issue with how the weather seal was designed or operates in certain conditions.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

I have a  bunch of Ultra/Pro 3 cameras. Just one or two exhibit this behaviour. Mostly it is a case of doing as @StephenB says. But one in particular is a pain. You need long fingernails to prise it out of the housing after that first button press.

Just another user
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

As a follow up to this "non solution" I have found a way to make the eject mechanism work more reliably.

If you open the camera, you will see that there is a spring loaded mechanism at the back, on the bottom of the battery compartment. It seems to be a part of the housing release mechanism.

Battery releaseBattery release

This was very stiff on one of my cameras. Pressing that bit in and out a few times seems to have released the tension and it has become more responsive. Now when I press the release  button on the bottom, that camera rejects as expected. No more broken fingernails.

Just another user
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation