Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice

What is detection range for motion on the Pro 3 cams?  I have one camera over my garage and set for 100% sensitivity yet the cams do not detect anything outside of about 10 feet or so.

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

~25 feet for people, assuming they're moving across the FOV and not at the camera. Also, be sure you're setting the motion sensitivity in your modes and rules, not the detection test (which is just a test).

rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Right, that's what I've done.  I've set motion sensitivity under Modes.  Would that 25 ft of range cover traffic?  The reason I have this is to monitor my mailbox which is about 20-25 ft from where the cam is located.  My original wire-free Arlo cameras tracked every vehicle that passed which was kind of a pain but these Pro 3 cameras catch maybe 1 out of 10 vehicles that it used to.  I even tried setting up Zones but that didn't seem to work.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rwxrwx,

20-25 feet may be outside the reliable motion detection area for the camera. Take a look here for tips on positioning your camera for best performance: How do I position my Arlo wire-free camera?

JamesC

rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice

thanks for the recommendations, all.

Here's something else that I found that may be of use and that I will try when I get a moment.

Under Device Utilities/Camera Positioning there is some language at the bottom.  "position your camera such that triggering events will occur within the non-shadowed portion of the frame."  Displayed above is an image coming from the camera.  This image shows what area is non-shaded and shaded.  The area that I need motion detected is within the shaded portion of the frame which occupies the upper 1/3 of the image.  Only the bottom 2/3 of the image will detect motion is my guess.  So, the next question is obviously can I get the upper 1/3 of the image to engage and trigger recording of any motion detected rather than just the bottom 2/3?  In other words I'd like to get the entire image to detect motion, not just the bottom.  If not then I'll have to adjust my camera positioning up higher which means the lower area will no longer be in the field of view.

rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice

UPDATE:

I re-positioned the camera so that the area that I want motion detection in is within the bottom 2/3 of the camera image.  That worked.  I now get triggered motion events.  However, my question above still stands.  Can I engage the upper 1/3 of the image to trigger motion events?  This has to be software related.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rwxrwx,

No. The motion sensors on the camera do not reach the top 1/3rd of the cameras field of view.

JamesC

rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you.  I'll just live with what I've got then.

jsaus63304
Luminary
Luminary

You can flip your camera upside down and the top 2/3's would detect motion.  You can flip the image in your settings.

rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice

That's a good idea.  However, I have already flipped the cam upside down because it's mounted to a soffit.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation