Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pre-purchase help

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

Have seen a deal on Arlo for Pro 3 camera including a VMB hub VMB 4540 .  Need expert opinion which hub is best VMB5000 or the VMB 4540  for not real smart user lol.  Looking to add Arlo 3 to Arlo pro 2 and plain Arlo camera I have.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ShayneS wrote:

The only major difference between these Smart Hubs is the VMB5000 uses a

WiFi frequency of 2.4 GHz/5GHz vs just 2.4GHz & Local storage utilizes a micro SD card vs USB 

You can find more info here: What is the difference between each Arlo SmartHub and base station?

In practice the 5 ghz band isn't very useful, unless the cameras are very close to the base.  So the only difference that would really matter is using a microSD for local storage (instead of a USB thumb drive or hard drive).  The microSD is a bit tidier, the USB slot is a bit more versatile.

I'd suggest going with the one the costs less (generally the VMB4540).  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Nanlee

WiFi frequency of 2.4 GHz/5GHz vs just 2.4GHz & Local storage utilizes a micro SD card vs USB 

You can find more info here: What is the difference between each Arlo SmartHub and base station?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ShayneS wrote:

In practice the 5 ghz band isn't very useful, unless the cameras are very close to the base.  So the only difference that would really matter is using a microSD for local storage (instead of a USB thumb drive or hard drive).  The microSD is a bit tidier, the USB slot is a bit more versatile.

I'd suggest going with the one the costs less (generally the VMB4540).  

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation