Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice

I set up port forwarding on the iOS app along with port forwarding on my router.  This was done so that I can access videos stored locally on the basestation outside my network.  Of course, it did not work.  Now I can no longer access the cameras.  Now what?  And please PLEASE don't tell me I have to reset the basestation.  I tried powering it down and plugging back in but that did not work.  The light on the basestation was solid blue and is now flashing amber.  I am also on the same network that the cameras are on.  App says Basestation is offline.

13 REPLIES 13
rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thinking about using "remove device" and then rediscovering the base station. Just don't know what that'll do to all my settings.
rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice
Tried removing the base station and rediscovering it and that did not work. Tried resetting the base station and that did not work. Dead in the water. Good grief it should never be this difficult to set up cameras.
dcfox1
Master
Master

Since you have posted on several threads about different problems have you tried support that is listed below. 

rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice
Actually am on hold now with support. I'll update once I'm done
rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice
After almost 2 hours on the phone (1 hour of wait time) I will be sent a new base station. It's "bricked".

My take is that if for whatever reason the link is lost between the router and the base station and port forwarding settings have been set it's game over. In other words if port forwarding settings are removed from the router before you get a chance to remove port forwarding settings for the base station you've essentially bricked the base station because there's no way to access it again. Thing is during the initial try I matched exactly the router settings against the base station and still lost the ability to access the base station. Even resetting the base station doesn't work even though from what I was told over the phone that port forwarding settings are retained on the base station and not the app nor the cloud. I should have written down the port forwarding number that the base station recommended so that I could at least keep trying to gain access to the base station even though the first attempt didn't work. What a mess. So frustrating.
sabre47
Tutor
Tutor

We purchased this to monitor our remote property, as soon as the 3 month subscription lapsed and we turned to a thumb drive we can no longer access what's recorded.  We've been through the hour wait for assist, unfortunately we interacted with Arlo  customer service while we were on the system at the remote property.  At that point the system recorded.  Now, that we're away we can no longer access the system.  Apparently the "problem" has something to do with port forwarding.  I guess that means we're required to travel another 200 miles to get this resolved.  Very frustrated, looks like this system is headed back to Costco.

rwxrwx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Accessing any storage device outside of the network the cameras operate under requires a VPN or port forwarding.  There are more limitations when it comes to local storage.  Thumbnails are no longer available.  You cannot manually record videos.  You cannot manually create a snapshot.  You cannot delete any videos.  And I may be wrong on this but if you would like to view one of the recordings using the app you'll have to download it before you can view it.  Again, I could be wrong on that but that's my impression after reading language on the Arlo website.  

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

"Disabling Direct Storage Access or port forwarding deactivates Direct Storage Access for your Arlo SmartHub, but your router settings will remain unchanged. If you deactivate port forwarding in the Arlo app, remember to also remove those ports from the port forwarding section of your router settings."  Maybe some language should be included to say "Do not deactivate port forwarding on the router prior to deactivating port forwarding on the smarthub.  Doing so will no longer give the user access to their base station.  Deactivate port forwarding using the Arlo app first, then deactivate port forwarding on the router".

sabre47
Tutor
Tutor

I appreciate your feedback, it was helpful in taking the next step.  It's clear Arlo lit (especially the box advert) makes it appear the USB storage is the "perfect" solution.  However, we really don't have the time to fiddle with what they want the consumer to go through in order to get the product to work.  We live to far away from the cameras and the next trip to deal with the Arlo system will be the last, as far as Arlo is concerned.  It worked with the 3 month subscription, but not when the subscription ends.  So, clearly there has been a misrepresentation as to the performance and capabilities.  Just pay the monthly fee and everything is cool -- Not.  It's a wonder Arlo has lasted as long as it has.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@sabre47 

Agree local storage is a pain and I know you don't want to pay for a sub but it is so much simpler especially since you have a second property. I had Ring and they don't even have local storage option. You pay for all recordings. 

sabre47
Tutor
Tutor

We appreciate the reply.   This has become an opportunity to educate ourselves as to forwarding, etc.  We are looking at our options, to include another system at Qsee. (wireless).  We formerly had a Qsee system, however that was a wired unit and wires were something we wanted to eliminate.  I feel the Arlo3 was misrepresented to us, which sours us on that company, although we have friends with an Arlo2 who are satisfied.  Again, thank you for your response.

Arlo217
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have AT&T fiber coming in through their BGW210 router with the Arlo VMB4540 directly connected to it.  After several tries of adding custom services with a broad range of ports I was able to get port forwarding to finally work while on my own wireless network.  I will eventually narrow this down as it is very unsecure, but the follow port ranges (TCP/UDP) allowed me to finally see my local storage through the Library:

1-7546

7548-51000

51100-61000

61100-65535

The thing to note on the AT&T router is to be sure to pick Return to NAT/Gaming after adding the custom Arlo services and then adding them to the router for the base unit you have as the device needing the ports open.  If you go by Arlo's directions which infers that all the information you need is list in the app under port forwarding, you will never get this to work.  I think I saw the specific ports (outside of the custom port set by the app each time you "refresh") listed in another reply or different post, but I hope this gets someone access to their recordings as a start.

The AT&T support site has a pretty good article  on how to do this: https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1215101

Good luck!

Subodh123
Aspirant
Aspirant

What is the base host port?

Did you add all the below 4 port ranges in the global port range?

1-7546

7548-51000

51100-61000

61100-65535

sorenb
Aspirant
Aspirant

I seem to have made this work on the Pro 3 system (not without difficulties though...)

Before the port forwarding issues I added a USB-stick to my base-station and started recording locally. It works fine and didn't cause me too many problems setting up. 

Being at home (on the same wifi connection as the Arlo system) I could see both the live video and download previously recorded video.
When being away from home I was still able to see the live camera but I wasn't able to download recorded video. 

For this port forwarding is necessary and I made it work following these steps.

1. First of all I made the IP-adress on the Arlo-basestation static.
It's a setting on my router (Icotera i4850) and was just an easy click and apply.

2. Then I launched the Arlo App on my phone (iPhone 11) and located the port forwarding section
(Settings -> MyUnits -> ArloSmartHub -> Storage -> Port Forwarding) (Wording can be different as I have the Danish app)

3. I enabled Port Forwarding and accepted the risk

The App seems to automatically find the correct IP-adress and sets up an internal and an external port (they are the same and you don't have the oppertunity to enter it yourself). BE AWARE that if you press the 'Update' button  you will be assigned a new port (so don't do that when you've made it work !! 🙂

4. Back on the router-settings I located the Port Forwarding section.
I entered the IP-adress of the base-station (from step 1 above) and the port number (from step 3 above).

On my router I can enter the port-number in several places and just added the same in all - see left side of the attachment.

My router also gives me the oppertunity to select either UDP or TCP protocol. UDP is default but it didn't work so I tried TCP and it worked.

Remember to save the settings and wait a few minutes to let the settings apply 🙂

5. Returning to the Arlo App I could see the Base station being 'Available' in the port forwarding section, and I was able to download the recorded video from the USB-stick. See right side of the attachment - in Danish though but I guess you get the point 🙂

I tested it by shutting down the wifi on my phone and using mobile data connection.
When turning wifi back on again I had to restart the Arlo App to see the recorded video 😐
Maybe I was just too fast and didn't wait for the new settings to apply?

I hope you can make it work.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation