Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
chopper1
Tutor
Tutor

Set up Pro3 in my garage at the most - 100' (feet) from the SmartHub.  During set up I had great video signal but when 18 gauge metal garage door was closed my signal went to almost '0' and camera keeps going off line.  Technical support has not answered my pleas for help after about 10 or more case updates throughout the past week.  Is an external antenna an option?  Some sort of signal booster?  I am afraid to set up the rest of the cameras if they work as poorly as this one.

15 REPLIES 15
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is there any way to move the hub closer to the camera?

chopper1
Tutor
Tutor

No to moving Arlo SmartHub closer to camera and visa versa.  Camera is set for optimum coverage in garage and SmartHub is at cable modem in house.  Only 100'.  This 900' Arlo claims is laboratory conditions.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's 300 feet, not 900 but that's a moot point - real world stuff intervenes.

As noted, closing the metal garage door blocks the signal so the only solution is to provide a different signal path between the hub and camera. Whether you move the hub or the camera is up to you. Another solution is to use a second hub to provide that camera. The last possibility is to remove it from your hub and use your WiFi to connect although if the hub and router are in the same location that probably won't help without the use of a mesh network or a WiFi extender.

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Also having the smarthub too close to the modem can cause problems but the metal door has more to do with it than anything else. Follow jguerdats advise or the only other option is to return it to place of purchase.

chopper1
Tutor
Tutor

Now using a second Arlo SmartHub is an option.  I had to get two full sets for the 6 cameras I needed for this 6100 sqft house, or tapping into my WiFi mesh point (30' away from camera in garage) is also an option.  I have no knowledge on how to do either.  I am getting more help here than the company technical support which I am still waiting on after two weeks of pleading with them for help.  How would one set up a second Arlo SmartHub OR how to tap into a very strong WiFi signal.  Any help is appreciated.

dcfox1
Master
Master

As long as you use a wifi extender that has a ethernet port you can plug the second hub into that and put the distance cameras on that hub. 

chopper1
Tutor
Tutor

I use Amplifi WiFi system and the mesh points of the Amplifi system do not have ethernet plugs.  Could I move the second Arlo SmartHub, with a long ethernet cable, to a window facing the garage and use the same router the first SmartHub is hooked up to?  Thanks for your responses.  I still haven't gotten a word from Arlo tech support after 25 pleas for help.

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@chopper1 , Honestly I cant answer how it's done but you can always try it to see how it works, as I see it you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Waiting on Arlo support...…….. good luck with that.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@chopper1 

I also am not not sure about how a mesh system works but as long as you have an ethernet port to plug in to it should work. My router only has one port though so not  sure if of you have two ports to keep the other one connected also. 

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Yes you can attach a second hub using a long cable to the same router where the current hub is attached.

Also keep in mind that the Arlo Essential  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-essential/default.aspx has been launched which allows connection direct to wifi with having to use a hub.

chopper1
Tutor
Tutor

The WiFi system I use is called Amplifi.  Their boosters throughout the house are called 'mesh point'.  All these mesh points (I would say more antennas plugged into a wall outlet for powering the antennas) keep the same signal - not their own signal but the same signal throughout the house.  The mesh points do not have a Ethernet plug.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Do you have two ethernet connections on your router to connect both hubs? That should work like you suggested unless we misunderstood you. No matter what for two hubs you need an ethernet connection for each. I have a cheap wifi extender that plugs into an outlet and that has an ethernet port but not sure if that would interfere with your mesh system. 

chopper1
Tutor
Tutor

Yes on the ethernet plugs on the router (have 4).  Will try second Arlo SmartHub when can get ethernet cable length needed for position of second Arlo SmartHub.  Thanks again to anyone that can help.  I am the dimmest light bulb so please dumb it down.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A WiFi or powerline extender can be used to plug the new base/hub into. That may be more convenient to set up.

chopper1
Tutor
Tutor

I connected the second SmartHub to the system.  New SmartHub is in the window facing the garage.  Still no luck.  I am taking this system back.  The whole system is a good idea but does not work in the real world.  At least not this 6100sqft house.  Thanks to everyone that tried to help.  A lot more help than the company.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation