Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Outdoor use of the Pro 3 camera has issues

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jimho
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a Pro 3 wire free camera that I bought in July 2020.   The model number is VMS5240-100NAS according to the packing slip, but that was not an option in the model designation for this post.   I'm not sure if there have been changes to possibly newer models since I purchased mine, but I have multiple issues trying to keep my camera working outdoors.  The camera is running version 3.5.13_28425, released 1/25/22.

The camera is advertised as "weather resistant," and Arlo also sells a magnetic cable for outdoor use.   However, the adapter appears to be an indoor model only.   If I'm mistaken or there is an "integrated" adapter/cable for the Pro 3, I'd be pleased to hear it.   My problem is that my camera is located within range of my router, but 80 ft from the house and covers the front driveway gate.   Recharging batteries every other day is not acceptable and the solar panel does not receive enough sun to be useful.   My solution was to add a 110V weatherproof receptable near the camera.   Even without rain or cold weather (I live in California), the battery will not stay charged and once run down, will not charge outside even when continuously plugged in.   If I bring the camera, charger, and cable inside the house and place them next to the hub, the battery charge improves quickly.   Also, although I've seen suggestions that a battery is not needed, the camera will not operate without one.   So my questions are:

1) Why does the camera need a battery when the camera has continuous power through an adapter and magnetic charging cable?

2) Why won't the camera charge when the device is turned off (so no video capture is occurring)?

3) After the battery charge drops to zero outside, why does the same adapter and cable charge the battery inside.   Does the camera only charge if it maintains a continuous connection with the hub?  

I'm suspecting that my wireless connection is not the best since it is quite a ways from the camera, but it works well until the battery charge is depleted.  If the battery would stay charged, or if the camera worked simply by connecting it to the adapter, even with a battery at 0% charge, my system would work.   Anyone else have this issue?

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jimho wrote:

I have a Pro 3 wire free camera that I bought in July 2020.   The model number is VMS5240-100NAS

VMS is a system sku, not the camera part number.  But it appears to include Ultra cameras, not Pro 3 cameras.  You can confirm this by opening up the camera - there should be a VMC part number inside the camera (perhaps behind the battery).  

@jimho wrote:

If I'm mistaken or there is an "integrated" adapter/cable for the Pro 3, I'd be pleased to hear it.   

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/accessories/VMA5600C-100NAS.html

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/accessories/VMA5601C-100NAS.html

jimho
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the reference to an integrated cable/adapter. It's not available now but I asked to be notified when it's back in stock. The picture strangely doesn't show the adapter end but for now I'll assume it's not connected through a USB end like the indoor model. Has anyone used this outdoors? Seems like Arlo mainly talks about starting it's cables indoors, which is not a very good option.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jimho wrote:
The picture strangely doesn't show the adapter end but for now I'll assume it's not connected through a USB end like the indoor model. 

No, it is integrated (terminates in a plug).

I have used mine outdoors, but not all the time - for me it's a more convenient way to charge some of the cameras (w/o needing to take them down). 

jimho
Aspirant
Aspirant
So, yes, after checking, my cameras are the Ultra model. I think the only big difference over the Pro 3 is the 4K versus 2K resolution of the Pro 3.

Is there any reason you don't keep the adapter and cable connected all the time? Removing the battery to charge it every few days or even just connecting the charger to the camera while it's mounted seems incredibly unnecessary when it should be capable of remaining connected through a 110V outlet.

I have now recharged the battery inside and have repositioned it outside. The battery is at 100% and it's connected to the adapter and cable. I expect the camera to take around 10 videos every day so I'm going to watch the charge to see when it starts to drop off and not recharge.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The big thing for connecting AC power outside is the need to use the proper outdoor power supply since the indoor one is not weather-sealed. Use of the indoor supply to charge when the weather is appropriate (dry) is a suitable workaround as long as you then remove it once charged.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jimho wrote:

Is there any reason you don't keep the adapter and cable connected all the time?

The main reason is the placement of the outlet I use.  It is inside a small storage area, and the door into that space needs to be cracked open to use the charger.  I could do some work to resolve that, but the camera doesn't need recharging that often, so its not a priority.

jimho
Aspirant
Aspirant
My Pro 3/Ultra camera was recharged inside and has worked fine for several weeks. After a bit of wet whether, the camera again began to discharge, although the app indicated the camera was charging. This went on for maybe a week with the camera recording about 10 videos each day. This morning the charge was at 24% and so I swapped out the adapter and now within 5 hours the battery is at 90%. So the problem is definitely the lack of an integrated outside adapter. I did check again on the Arlo site and couldn't find one. It's really unfortunate that one isn't available because charging inside every few days is a nuisance and there's too much shade to use the solar accessory. Without the integrated adapter the camera is really not a complete solution for an outdoor location. However, now that I know what the issue is I can watch the charge and rotate dry adapters when there's a problem. The adapters seem to come back to life if they have the chance to dry completely inside.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jimho wrote:
 So the problem is definitely the lack of an integrated outside adapter. I did check again on the Arlo site and couldn't find one. 
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation