Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

2 Pro3 cameras and 1 SmartHub, USB-recording?

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
RianIam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

I have 2 Pro3 cameras connected to a BaseStation. I have connected 1 USB-disk to the BaseStation. I bought it together 4 weeks ago, and have 3 months free testperiod for Cloud storage. After 3 months, can I skip paying for Cloud storage and only save videos to the USB-disk? I use Apple-App on my iPhone and iPad.

//Richard

14 REPLIES 14
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RianIam wrote:

I have 2 Pro3 cameras connected to a BaseStation. I have connected 1 USB-disk to the BaseStation. I bought it together 4 weeks ago, and have 3 months free testperiod for Cloud storage. After 3 months, can I skip paying for Cloud storage and only save videos to the USB-disk? I use Apple-App on my iPhone and iPad.

Yes, assuming you have a VMB4540 smarthub.  There's a part number that starts with VMB on the base.

I suggest setting up direct access to local storage while you still have the trial, so you can get some idea on whether it will work for you before the trial ends.

General info is here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor...

There are limitations

• recordings only accessible from the app (not the browser)
  • recordings only accessible from the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • no ability to make manual recordings or save snapshots
  • no thumbnails
  • remote access to recordings requires router setting changes, which some find difficult

Also, cloud storage is not the only thing you get with the subscription.  You also lose smart notifications, and cloud activity zones.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062312/What-options-will-I-have-when-the-Arlo-trial-ends

RianIam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanx Stephen for your reply.

I have already configured the App for the SmartHub and configured the Router, and it all seems to work just fine. Both on my LAN and also when I'm not at home. But, as you wrote, No Thumbnails etc, and that could be a problem in the future. So we'll see what to do in 2 months.

Best regards //Richard

Drjc1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Seriously? It sure looks like free local recording ends w free trial now. Are you a paid subscriber and still going on outdated info?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Local recording has nothing to do with a subscription. Some folks (maybe on iOS) have had recent issues so make sure you reboot your phone, reinstall the app and perhaps reboot your hub.

RianIam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

I'm still on free trial, and today I use both Cloud and local storage. My question was if I need to pay after 3 month to be able to store on my local USB-disk. I understand that the Cloud storage ends if I don't pay for it after the 3 months trial period.

//Richard

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Drjc1 wrote:
It sure looks like free local recording ends w free trial now. Are you a paid subscriber and still going on outdated info?

I do have a subscription, but I am not going on outdated info.

There are some issues with local storage that Arlo is investigating.  One of my two VMB5000 bases is affected, so I am currently only able to access local storage on one base (even with a subscription) at the moment.

Drjc1
Aspirant
Aspirant
All I know, is no matter what I reset reboot or update the base with the cameras where the free trial has expired will not allow local recording anymore. I am seeing tons of posts under various threads to support my assumption. If Arlo has a problem that they’re working on, they should be posting about that.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Drjc1 wrote:
If Arlo has a problem that they’re working on, they should be posting about that.

They have posted it in a couple of places, for instance this post yesterday: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-3/IOS-app-can-t-access-local-storage/m-p/1860526

Not sure this is really limited to iOS.  And it is strange that I only see this on one base, when both are running the same firmware and are connected to the same network.

Drjc1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Definitely not limited to iOS in my case
2 , 4540 bases. One w expired free trial cams, one with cams still under free trial. Guess which one has the problem.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Drjc1 wrote:
Definitely not limited to iOS in my case
2 , 4540 bases. One w expired free trial cams, one with cams still under free trial. Guess which one has the problem.

I understand your logic, but in my experience Arlo does communicate changes in their policies - and they haven't communicated any changes with direct access to local storage.

And all the cameras on the my own base that is misbehaving are under subscription.

RianIam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, what I understand, I can't be 100% sure that recordings to local disk will work or not after the 3 month free period?

I just have to wait and see, and if it doesn't work I'll have to get Arlo Secure? It's not really a money issue (only SEK 99/month) it's more a quality thing and the ability to use the cameras/system for full.

//Richard

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RianIam wrote:

Ok, what I understand, I can't be 100% sure that recordings to local disk will work or not after the 3 month free period?

Arlo hasn't tied local recordings to a subscription. Some people aren't able to view their local recordings - @Drjc1 is one, I am another.  I have a subscription, @Drjc1 doesn't.  The net here is that there is an issue with the feature that Arlo is still investigating.  Tagging the mods, in case they want to confirm ( @JamesC and @ShayneS )

@RianIam wrote:

I just have to wait and see, and if it doesn't work I'll have to get Arlo Secure? It's not really a money issue (only SEK 99/month) it's more a quality thing and the ability to use the cameras/system for full.

There are limitations to direct access to local storage:

1. recordings are only accessible in the app (not the browser)
  2. recordings are only accessible to the primary account (not friend accounts)
  3. no ability to make manual recordings or snapshots
  4. no thumbnails
  5. remote access requires router setup (port forwarding or a VPN) which some find difficult.  (And it is impossible with some ISPs - for instance Starlink).

There are also other features that require a subscription.  Activity zones (when the camera is battery powered) is one.  Smart Notifications is another.

One option is to use both local storage and a subscription.  Then the local storage serves as a backup to the cloud storage.

Drjc1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Still no response from moderators?
Any change in your situation Stephen?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Drjc1 wrote:
Any change in your situation Stephen?

No.  The firmware was updated to 1.18.0.3_1136_d554faf, but that didn't resolve the problem.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation