Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Notifications Draining Battery

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
GMeliss
Follower
Follower

I have cameras set to 8% sensitivity, only for people.

They seem to trigger whenever there is motion and my front yard has trees, so my two cameras will only last a couple of days.

This was alright initially, but now it looks like the cameras are triggering for everything, which is draining the batteries WAY too quickly and this seems to be a software update fault.
Has anyone had any luck getting around this problem?

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GMeliss wrote:

I have cameras set to 8% sensitivity, only for people.

Not actually possible.  Arlo's AI engine (which classifies the videos) runs in the Arlo Cloud, not the cameras.  So the cameras trigger on anything moving, and stream video to the cloud.  If the cloud determines that a person is in the scene, then it will send out the notification.  Either way, the recording is kept.

BTW, activity zones won't help either, as they are also processed in the Arlo cloud.

@GMeliss wrote:

This was alright initially, but now it looks like the cameras are triggering for everything, which is draining the batteries WAY too quickly

Software updates sometimes do have bugs in power mangement, so that is possible.  There does appear to be a bug related to solar panel charging at the moment (reported by several folks here).

Other steps-

• reposition the cameras to try to reduce the unwanted triggers (perhaps aiming them more downwards)
  • inverting the cameras sometimes helps (if the motion is at the bottom of the field of view).  The cameras are more senstivity to motion at the bottom of the field of view than the top.  (Note there is an invert setting in the app).
  • an XL upgrade and/or solar panels for the front camera(s).  While solar panels can help quite a bit, the XL kit might be a better option, especially if you get freezing temperature in the winter.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation