Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

Does the Pro 3 need a smarthub? From what I've gathered, it can connect directly to WiFi.  The same seems to be true for the Ultra and Pro 3 Floodlight, how about the upcoming Arlo Essential?

The hubs limit the distance and if I can connect directly to WiFi that would extend the range for me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JehovasFitness,

Arlo Pro 3 requires a SmartHub or Base Station. Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight can function standalone by syncing directly to your WiFi network or optionally syncing to a SmartHub or Base Station. Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera can connect directly to a WiFi network and does not require a base station.

JamesC

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JehovasFitness,

Arlo Pro 3 requires a SmartHub or Base Station. Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight can function standalone by syncing directly to your WiFi network or optionally syncing to a SmartHub or Base Station. Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera can connect directly to a WiFi network and does not require a base station.

JamesC

JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

Thank you

schultzdw
Tutor
Tutor

What are the limitations without a base station for the Essential Camera?    Trying to add cameras to another location without a base station.

JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

You'll lose ability to save videos to memory card on base station as a backup.

There was also a time where our Comcast internet went down, while I couldn't access live feeds and no videos were saved to the cloud, the base station was still able to record videos to it.

schultzdw
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you that helps...

Do you know if the essential camera's battery is same as a pro 2 or pro 3.   sorry not much info on the website for the essential yet.

dcfox1
Master
Master

That is a good question, I was wondering the same. I would think it would be. It looks like the same design. 

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Just to be clear, the previous poster mentioned the Pro 2 and Pro 3 which used different battery designs.  I believe you meant, the Essentials camera looks like the same design as the Ultra and Pro 3 cameras which are familial designs.  (I don’t know why they ever called it the Pro 3.  It should have been named the Ultra 2k, since it has more in common with Ultra than the Pro/Pro 2 family cameras.)

dcfox1
Master
Master

@AncientGeek  Yes that was what he stated in his question the pro 3, I assumed he knew the difference between the pro 2 and pro3 since he ask about both. 

schultzdw
Tutor
Tutor

Does the Essential Camera share the same battery as another model of Arlo Camera?

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

A few of us have speculated that is uses the same battery as the Pro 3 and Ultra family of cameras.  It appears the same in the photos.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Same thought here, I thought a mod would chime in by now. We should see for sure when they start a thread on the essential camera with FAQ

schultzdw
Tutor
Tutor

I was hoping for that as well,  I have need for another Arlo system in another location but before I purchase one, wanted some info on the new camera.

Thank you

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Essential Spotlight camera features a non-removable rechargeable battery. More information will be made available soon.

For more information, take a look at the press release here: Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera Press Release

JamesC

schultzdw
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you

dcfox1
Master
Master

Thanks JamesC that's the info we were looking for before a pre order. 

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@JamesC wrote:

Arlo Essential Spotlight camera features a non-removable rechargeable battery. More information will be made available soon.

For more information, take a look at the press release here: Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera Press Release

JamesC

Oh....that is unfortunate, but certainly helpful information.  Lack of a removable battery is my biggest criticism of some of Arlo’s competition.

Does it at least use the same outdoor power cord and solar panel as the Pro 3?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@AncientGeek wrote:

Does it at least use the same outdoor power cord and solar panel as the Pro 3?

If you look at the pictures on this page, the answer would seem to be no.

Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera is affordable and chock-full of cool features

Essentials chargerEssentials charger

That small flap on the camera, and the angle of the cable is unlike the Pro 3/Ultra and the magnetic connector.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation