Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Edge Web Browser

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As some of you may know MS has upgraded it's Edge browser. I installed the update and now I can no longer view the video clips when I log in. Anyone have any luck getting this to work? I also went and logged on in my Chrome browser and it tells me the same thing.  This video is not able to play in your browser. Please download to view..  So what's everyone doing about this? Is Arlo planning on doing a update to it's software to enable you to view it in these browsers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well after trying everything that I could to try to make this work to no avail I tried without any success to remove Edge from my computer so it would go back to the legacy version upon restart. After many attempts I decided to try a system restore. Much to my delight that did the trick. I now have the old version of Edge back and everything works in 2K again. Not sure what will happen once the update is forced upon me and others by Microsoft. If anyone else runs into this I strongly advise you to do a system restore to before the updated Edge was installed.

Does anyone know if any of the other browsers support 2K?

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@K80Shooter wrote:

As some of you may know MS has upgraded it's Edge browser. I installed the update and now I can no longer view the video clips when I log in. Anyone have any luck getting this to work?

Actually this is working fine for me with Pro2,  Pro3, Ultra cameras and the Video Doorbell.  I'm running version 81.0.416.72, and both live streaming and library playback work.

If you have an Ultra or Pro3, then you might need to install the HEVC extensions package from Microsoft (just google it).  The browser normally uses the GPU support for the HEVC codec, and that sometimes needs that package installed.  Alternatively, you could try switching to 1080p as a test, and see if that works.  Enabling track and zoom for the camera is the simplest way to do that.

@K80Shooter wrote:

I also went and logged on in my Chrome browser and it tells me the same thing.  This video is not able to play in your browser. 

Chrome doesn't support HEVC playback - which is what the Pro3 needs for 2K.

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@StephenB 

That's the same version I downloaded this morning (it's the chromium version) and then everything went south. I've tried to delete it to go back to the previous version but no luck doing that. I checked in my apps and tried resetting my HEVC extension but that did not work then I went to the app store and purchased the .99 cents extension but that didn't work also. 

If you check under extensions in your browser is the HEVC extension listed there? How long ago did you upgrade to it? There has to be something a little different somewhere if you're using it and I cant. Just trying to figure out what.

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@StephenB 

Another thought,  I assume you're running Windows 10, if so what default app settings are you using for your video player? Mine is Movies and TV.

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@StephenB 

Switching to 1080p does let me view the new content. I just need to figure out how to get my 2K back. I'll also play around with my video card and see if there are any updates for it also.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@K80Shooter wrote:

If you check under extensions in your browser is the HEVC extension listed there?

Switching to 1080p does let me view the new content. 

None of my PCs needed the HEVC extension, so I didn't install it.

I expect that your issue is with your graphics card doesn't support HEVC/H.265.  Though the extension package is supposed to take care of that.

dcfox1
Master
Master

I have the same version listed above. I can see 2k. before the update with arlo getting rid of flash i couldn't. Now i can. 

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If it was my graphics card why was I able to view it in 2K before the Edge update?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@K80Shooter wrote:

If it was my graphics card why was I able to view it in 2K before the Edge update?

I don't know what changed - perhaps the HEVC extension doesn't work with the new Edge???

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well after trying everything that I could to try to make this work to no avail I tried without any success to remove Edge from my computer so it would go back to the legacy version upon restart. After many attempts I decided to try a system restore. Much to my delight that did the trick. I now have the old version of Edge back and everything works in 2K again. Not sure what will happen once the update is forced upon me and others by Microsoft. If anyone else runs into this I strongly advise you to do a system restore to before the updated Edge was installed.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@K80Shooter wrote:

Chrome and Firefox don't support HEVC at all.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@K80Shooter 

Thats weird i updated to the current version manually about a month or more ago. Dont know what happened when they forced it on everyone now but i am  fine on the new version.  Im assuming  it was in a windows update that force it?

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@dcfox1 

It wasn't forced on me, I just saw it and upgraded. I agree that it's a little weird. I feel that it has something to do with a setting somewhere which is why I was quizzing about what anyone might have done. Either way it works now. I guess someday whenever I don't have a choice either I or someone else might stumble onto what needs to be done. Until then I'm happy with the old Edge.

I do want to thank both you and StepehnB for your input.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation