Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

My VMB4540 base station/hub lost connection with my cameras

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
SilverShark
Tutor
Tutor

All the sudden my base station/hub lost connection to all my cameras. I have spent 3 nights troubleshooting with Arlo support. I have restarted my cable router numerous times. Deleted the device in the Arlo app and re-added it several times. I have used the paperclip reset on the hub several times. When I used the paperclip, the LED would remain blue the entire time (pressed it for over 60 seconds - not even a blink). After doing this several times the app now does not even see the hub (which has a continuous blue LED) so I can't even add that device anymore. I was then told on my third night of support with Arlo that I need to turn on port-forwarding (80 and 443). I am not storing local video, so no idea why that would be a requirement (nor could they send me any documentation stating this is required). Nothing AFAIK has changed on my internal network or ISP. Everything else is working normally. My only thought is that I have a bad hub. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Frustrated Arlo User

7 REPLIES 7
Dannybear
Master
Master

Just to confirm that you are holding the reset button using the paper clip until the led starts flashing amber.

It is possible that the reset button within the base station is faulty, look to replace if within warranty.

I have had this myself on the VMB4000 Base station and was able to restore the button switch operation by opening up the unit, removing the guts and twisting the reset button slightly to make it start making contact.

As a guess an insulting film builds up on the button contacts over time.

Use a multimeter to confirm the button operation.

Only recommended for electronically minded persons.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SilverShark wrote:

I was then told on my third night of support with Arlo that I need to turn on port-forwarding (80 and 443).

Bad advice - almost never a solution, and certainly not the problem when the base was working before with the same ISP and router setup.  Likely they got to the end of the list of things to try.

If the base isn't responding to the paper-clip reset (flashing amber and rebooting), then I think @Dannybear is correct in thinking that either the switch is defective or that you aren't quite reaching it.  

You might try using something a bit thinner, and see if that works.  Also, make sure you are holding down the switch long enough - the guide says 10 seconds.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

One more little detail - make sure you hear and feel the "click" when pressing the reset button. If you don't hear/feel that, it could be that the button is possibly offset a little and you're not actually making contact with it.

SilverShark
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, I held the reset button in and it clicked.  I ended up purchasing a new base stations and everything is working.  IF only I could get back all the time I spent with tech support.  Arlo really needs to step it up.  Thanks again.

SilverShark
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, I held the reset button in and it clicked.  I ended up purchasing a new base stations and everything is working.  Thanks for taking time to respond.

SilverShark
Tutor
Tutor

Bad base unit.  Purchased new one and things are working again.  My base unit was out of warranty.  Thanks for taking time to respond.

SilverShark
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for taking time to respond.  Replace base unit and everything is working.  Out of warranty of course.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation