Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Missing magnet from Arlo Pro 3 kit purchased from Costco Canada

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
pdurocher
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently purchased an Arlo Pro 3 kit from a local Costco.  The kit was supposed to contain a hub and 3 Arlo Pro 3 cameras.

I opened the box (*NOT* a refurbished item) and was surprised to find out one magnet (and the screw kit) was missing.

What was in the box:

- 1 hub

- 1 power adapter for the hub

- 3 Arlo Pro 3 cameras

- 3 batteries

- 1 power adapter for the camera charger

- 1 USB cable for the power adapter for the camera charger

- 1 ethernet cable

- 4 ( !? ) mounts

- 4 screw kits for the mounts

- 2 ( instead of 3) magnets

- 2 (instead of 3) screw kits for the magnets

I _just_ chatted with the Arlo customer support and was told to contact Costco about it.

Performing a simple search shows I am not the only one having that issue.  Isn't Arlo checking what they put in the boxes before they ship them?

Anyway.  I guess Arlo is telling me to go to Costco, buy another kit, steal a magnet from that kit and then return the kit.  This is really wasteful. 😞

13 REPLIES 13
dcfox1
Master
Master

You are not the first to post this as Arlo does that. The same when I got my system a while ago.  They give enough mounts but not of each type. They don't give all of the same type as you said 3 of each, so it may not be different in an exchange package. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

These kits will list the total number of mounts included. In this case, it sounds like you received a combination of two magnetic wall mounts and a quarter-twenty mount for a total of three mounts. The contents will vary depending on which specific kit you purchased but you should receive 1 mount per camera.

JamesC

pdurocher
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  Though, the manual says the magnetic mounts should come with the Arlo 3 Pro but the Outdoor Mount should be purchased separately.

This is just poor tactics from Arlo's part.  I'll see what I do.

pdurocher
Aspirant
Aspirant

You are right.  I just noticed the box says it should contain only 2 magnetic mounts and 4 outdoor mounts.

The problem is that when you purchase the kit at Costco, you only see the cameras on display and then you take a cardboard to pay for the item.  Once you paid, you are given the box.

I still believe this is poor sales tactics from Arlo's part.  Just provide 1 mount per camera.  Having the buy extra mounts after purchasing such an expensive kit is not a nice experience.

Thanks again for the clarifications.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pdurocher wrote:

Just provide 1 mount per camera.  Having the buy extra mounts after purchasing such an expensive kit is not a nice experience.

Not sure what you are looking for exactly, as your kit has 6 mounts altogether, and three cameras.   Though it would perhaps have been better if they'd provided 3 magnetic mounts and 3 screw mounts.

Are you planning to mount all three cameras indoors?  You can use both mount types indoors and outdoors. 

In my experience, the magnetic mounts aren't quite as durable - I've had a few where the plastic tab that surrounds the screw has snapped off.  So I am gradually using more and more of the screw mounts.

pdurocher
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I was expecting the box to contain 3 mounts of each type.

Thanks for your experience regarding the magnetic mounts not being as reliable as they seem.  My use case will be for all cameras to be setup outdoor, screwed to my house.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@pdurocher wrote:

Thanks for your experience regarding the magnetic mounts not being as reliable as they seem.  My use case will be for all cameras to be setup outdoor, screwed to my house.

You don't have to use Arlo mounts as they all use the standard  thread you will finds on a camera tripod. I have various fittings that "clamp" on to barge-boards and other conveniently positioned bits of woodwork.

41NBEfHGulL

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Ewp1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I also ordered 3 camera set from Amazon and found the box contained only one screw fix wall Mount and two magnets. Sent it back to Amazon and the same thing happened with the second package. Arlo have a clear issue not providing all the parts to their cameras. Really shoddy that this should happen so frequently.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ewp1 wrote:
I also ordered 3 camera set from Amazon and found the box contained only one screw fix wall Mount and two magnets. 

It sounds like you received 3 cameras and three mounts (two different types).  If so, nothing was missing from the package.

What were you expecting?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

@Ewp1 wrote:
I also ordered 3 camera set from Amazon and found the box contained only one screw fix wall Mount and two magnets. 

It sounds like you received 3 cameras and three mounts (two different types).  If so, nothing was missing from the package.

What were you expecting?

That was my thought, three cameras and three  mounts, but the data sheet is unclear.

• (3) Wall Mount & Screw Kits

Guess they have a different interpretation of what constitutes a "Wall Mount".

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Both are wall mounts, just different types of wall mounts.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Both are wall mounts, just different types of wall mounts.

That is certainly the case with the Pro 3 kit, but in the past Arlo has differentiated between "security" and "wall" mounts. Effectively, magnetic and "screw-in" mounts

For example, the Pro system says:

• (3) Wall mounts
• (7) Wall mount screws
• (1) Outdoor security mount
• (1) Outdoor security mount screw set

In those cases there were four mounts. with three cameras. Heaven only knows what people were expecting to find in the Pro 3 box.

Maybe someone will answer your question.

Just another user
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:,For example, the Pro system says:

There are a lot of bundles/kits out there, and I think some are for specific resellers.  I'm not seeing one for the Pro on Arlo.com at the moment.

I think the relevant feedback here is whether people would just want one magnetic mount per camera or perhaps one traditional screw mount per camera instead of the mix.  I don't see Arlo shipping 6 mounts in three camera bundles, as that just raises the price they have to charge.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation