Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
MattyIce
Tutor
Tutor

Just got outfitted with Arlo: Pro3, Doorbell, Baby Mon...the works. I've researched the monthly plans, which are affordable, but I also read that local storage can still be used if a plan is not utilized. However, I've also read here in the community that you actually can only store locally WITH a plan and as a backup. I need some clarification on this. I've attached the verbiage from Arlo below and it seems pretty clear. 

Capture.JPG

43 REPLIES 43
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Chemic101 wrote:
No one has given a good explanation to local sd card storage with out subscription.

You mean this?

What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it?

It doesn't work for you?

@Chemic101 wrote:
Then how to view it from outside your local network.

Maybe that's your problem.

If you are having difficulties with that, tell people what they are. Maybe someone can then help.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Chemic101
Guide
Guide
Thank you, I'll give it a shot. I'll post my findings when complete.
Densch
Initiate
Initiate
Totally agree with you.
What a waste of time and money.
Chemic101
Guide
Guide
Well I hated doing it but it was too much trouble to set up an IP address and connect to it just to see my home from work. I am not that tech savvy. I sold them and am currently looking into other options.
dkocian
Initiate
Initiate

Just came to the realization that the direct storage option does not work without a cloud subscription.  

I was able to access both direct storage library and cloud storage library when my subscription was active.  As soon as I cancelled my subscription I no longer was able to access the direct storage library.

The drop down filter at the top that allows you to select between cloud storage and your local storage disappeared.  Which means you are defaulted to the cloud storage with no option to change it.

I have uninstalled the app, rebooted the phone.  I tried this on an Android device and iPhone device with the exact same result.  No access to direct storage through the app when you no longer have an active subscription.

I wish Arlo would just say this instead of beating around the bush and say offline storage is only available with a subscription.  Personally I do not want to pay for a cloud subscription when I only want to use the direct storage but it looks like Arlo does not want to make this option available.

Arlo is a good product and does what I need except for the fact that they force you to a subscription when one is not required.  Now I will package up my Arlo and return it to Costco and look for another product.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dkocian wrote:

Just came to the realization that the direct storage option does not work without a cloud subscription.  

That's not correct.  But direct storage is broken on Android at the moment - there was a bug introduced about a week ago (3.5.1, released on 20 July)

grahamski
Initiate
Initiate

Not correct. I have no service plan and can access the storage on my external hard drive using an iPad, iPhone, and Chromebook. I have heard there is a recent glitch, maybe that has something to do with your issue.

lizebs
Aspirant
Aspirant

I hope that's the case. I  was not on 3.5.1 when I noticed this issue but I updated my android app of Arlo anyway but still the recording doesn't show up.

One thing as highlighted by  other community member, it does record on flash drive as the used space keeps going high but can't see those recorded clips  from  Apps. Currently I am in conversation  with their support,  will update what they have to say!

lizebs
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am on Android 3.5.1, did you guys received any new update?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

I got 3.5.2 yesterday.

Dated 2021-07-27

Well, it would be if someone hadn't used the insane US dating convention of 07/27/21.

Clear as mud. Confuses the rest of the world.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
lizebs
Aspirant
Aspirant

The issue persists even on 3.5.2, clips are recorded on the hard drive but doesn't show up on App. Only get the notifications.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@lizebs wrote:

The issue persists even on 3.5.2, clips are recorded on the hard drive but doesn't show up on App.

Works here. But I did have to reconfigure the settings for local storage.

This has always been a flaky feature.

Just another user
dcfox1
Master
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

I got 3.5.2 yesterday.

Dated 2021-07-27

Well, it would be if someone hadn't used the insane US dating convention of 07/27/21.

Clear as mud. Confuses the rest of the world.

Not sure what is confusing. I understand the other way around. Same numbers. 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

When is 12/07/2021?

In the rest of the world it is 12 July, not 7 December.

Try sorting a column on the US convention.

Just another user
scmattson
Initiate
Initiate

This is a reply to an old post, however, since I didn't see the actual solution presented I'll add my two cents in case some in the future needs it.

In order to record locally, you need to setup your SmartHub first before your cameras. After the SmartHub is set up, you can add your cameras, and can then choose a connection method-- SmartHub or Cloud. SmartHub pairs the cameras to itself, Cloud requires you to pair the camera via a QR Code.

When I setup my cameras initially, I paired them to the cloud, as a result, I was not able to store locally (unless I downloaded the cloud video). I had to remove them from the app and re-add. I have the Arlo Pro 4 camera set from Costco which came with the 4540 BaseStation. 

-S

Raiderx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi everyone, I just stumbled on this thread regarding subscription with Arlo and Local storage. 

I have two Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight cameras and two Arlo Essential spotlight cameras all attached wirelessly to my Arlo SMART HUB VMB4540. I had a monthly subscription with Arlo at $8.99 per month, but once I got the SMART HUB and tested it for local storage, I cancelled my subscription with Arlo. My SMART HUB has a 1TB external hard drive attached to it in place of a USB stick and all appears to be working fine. I can view my records directly from the library in my app on any iphone or ipad that is connected to my devices.

Save myself $8.99 per month, and unlikely going to fill up the 1TB anytime soon.

By the way I can control and view my cameras anywhere in the world, as long as I have and internet connection.

Hope that helps some of you.

Sorry to butt in on this thread.

RobertSecurityG
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have my Arlo Pro 4XL (3 camera) setup with a base station and have a 2tb HDD connected to it, I am able to view all of what is going on (live) and watch stored videos from the HDD itself without a Cloud subscription. All you have to do it setup the port forwarding feature and you are good to go, I purchased this system because I do not want to pay a monthly fee. I’m very happy to report that I t works perfectly, with no monthly fee 😃
Chemic101
Guide
Guide
Can you view it from work or outside your home 🏡 network?
RobertSecurityG
Aspirant
Aspirant
100% YES, it works over cellular on the app if you enable port forwarding 😃
Discussion stats