Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
smirk
Guide
Guide

I just picked up a 3 camera set with a VMB4540r3 Base Station. In the long run I am not interested in a subscription, so I have set up a VPN and local storage. I am trying to see how everything functions using local storage and accessing the video through a VPN I set up on my android.

I found an old thread that mentioned that Android phones have not been enabled to view the local storage? Is this still true?

In regards to setting up a VPN, if the ip address assigned to my phone while VPN active is the same as my computer on my home wifi network, this means the VPN is working properly correct?

Is there a way to pause the free 3-month trial of Arlo Smart to see how the equipment works without the subscription? 

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
pararlo21
Initiate
Initiate

I'm in the same boat (same model).  I'm thinking of returning this.  Looks like we won't have activity zones without the subscription.  That means tonnes of unnecessary notifications.  Also, been trying to get port forwarding to work - no luck so far.  Without 7 day rolling cloud subscripton, these units are useless - unless you are in rural low traffic area and home all day.  I'm thinking of returning and getting used Arlo 2 or Blink XT.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@smirk wrote:

Is there a way to pause the free 3-month trial of Arlo Smart to see how the equipment works without the subscription? 

Not that I know of.  But you can choose to view the local recordings on your phone (you switch from "cloud" to your base station).

smirk
Guide
Guide
Thanks. I can't seem to see where to select cloud vs local storage. Where is this option located? In the old thread I found people said it is an option in the iOS apps, but not yet implemented on Android.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@smirk wrote:
Thanks. I can't seem to see where to select cloud vs local storage. Where is this option located? In the old thread I found people said it is an option in the iOS apps, but not yet implemented on Android.

It is available on Android, but I switched to iOS in December, and no longer have an Android phone.

At the top center of the library, you should see "Cloud".  If you touch that, you should see "select a storage device" - that will show Cloud and any bases you have that support Direct Access to Local Storage.  Of course it needs to be enabled in the Base, with storage installed.  There will be no thumbnails for the local storage, and you need to download them to your phone to play them.

smirk
Guide
Guide

Ok. I confirmed that I can access my local files when connected to my home wifi. However when away from home but connected to the OpenVPN I set up, I am unable to access the local files from my phone.

Does anyone have any input on how to set it up?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have almost never used remote access so had to try it out just now. I can verify your results - OpenVPN connects fine and I can access my router and other local resources but the Android app does NOT show the ability to select cloud vs. local. WHen on the local network, I do get the selection. I believe I tested it a while ago with success but not now.

@JamesC any info on this?

Josephew61
Aspirant
Aspirant

How to set up with no subscription?  Vmb4540?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've escalated this topic to the development team for further investigation. I will provide an update once I have more information.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation