Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Local Recordings

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
pankajmt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Screenshot_20210514-071212.pngScreenshot_20210514-071220.pngScreenshot_20210514-072603.png
Hello,

I have purchased an Arlo Set which comes with VMB4540 base station. I have on-going subscription on entryway camera and hoping to do without subscription on 2 others. So I have connected a USB disk, formatted, and things are getting recorded. But I cannot see them in the Library like I am supposed to? https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it!

In terms of instructions, I can't follow from step 3 as I don't see a cloud in the app?

To access your Direct Storage Access recordings:

Launch the Arlo app on iOS or Android.
Tap Library.
Tap Cloud at the top of the screen to select a storage source.
Select a SmartHub.
Navigate the library as you would with cloud storage, and tap the thumbnail to download the video recording.

Can someone help me with this please before I go to the next step of port forwarding?

Arlo App version I am using is 3.2 on Android release 04/09/21. And I have a Google nest mesh router!

Relevant screenshots attached. 

thanks, 

Pankaj

On a related note, Arlo support seems to be non-existant to me. I opened couple of support cases with multiple issues, and initially I got some useless responses (sorry for being blunt) and then I can't even follow up on those responses any more. Forget that, I can't seem to even see those responses any more, from the links in the emails I received or going to the support portal looking for reported cases. Then I tried a live chat session yesterday and the virtual assistant seemed impossible to get past. Then I tried calling the local AU support number yesterday and that is closed (without mentioning a reason). So the cameras might be nice, but I am very very disappointed on the ecosystem around them from app to support. I hope someone from the company is listening to this feedback and will follow-up. 

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There have been occasions where I've had to force close the app and reopen it to get the cloud/hub selection in the library. Not often but... Als, try reinstalling the app - maybe it just needs a new setup.

A VPN or port forwarding is only necessary for off-site viewing since you have to be connected to the local network (relative to the hub) to access the videos. Access at home, if on your own WiFi without an active VPN on your phone, doesn't require anything else.

pankajmt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does not work. So I had recently changed my phone, so it was already a new install, but I have re-installed and still do not see a single locally recorded video 😞

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Based on the screenshot, it looks like either direct access to storage isn't enabled, or that you are confused about what base you have.  You might want to check that you received a VMB4540 and not a VMB4500.  The VMB4500 looks very similar, but isn't a smarthub and doesn't support the feature.

Assuming you have a VMB4540, You can go browse to my.arlo.com, and look at the settings there.  Select the base, and then "local storage".  You should see this:

local-01.png

If you do see that, then click on the "Ready" next to "USB device".  That should show you the total storage for your USB drive, and give you controls to format it or eject it.

pankajmt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Happy for a second eye, but being a Security Engineer at heart, I am generally aware of what I have mentioned. 

PFA screenshots and pictures. 

Could you please suggest what next?

thanks,

Pankaj

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 6.39.43 pm.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-23 at 6.40.32 pm.pngPXL_20210523_084117647_PORTRAIT.png

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

If I'm understanding your posts correctly, direct access has never worked on the phone - correct?

One screen shot you didn't show was the one where direct access to local storage is enabled.  I suspect that is set too, but just in case, you should probably double-check it. 

Also you might want to make sure the app has the permission needed to use wifi data on the phone, and  then test with mobile data disabled in order to ensure that the only data connection available is using your local wifi.

Deleting/reinstalling the app might be worth a try I guess (easy to do, though unlikely to solve it).

If you still aren't seeing it, then support is probably the only option left.

pankajmt
Aspirant
Aspirant

If you see the very first screenshot on the first post, it shows Direct Storage Access enabled. And I use Wifi all the time and am connected whilst I am doing this. Already tried uninstalling/installing the app. In fact do not see these locally recorded videos on my wife's device too which is an iPhone. 

I will go to support again but support is pretty pathetic TBH. 

1. Support issues reported online disappear with an invalid token looks like after 7 days. I cannot even have a look at the solutions that were offered there in the past. 

2. Support number is closed at the moment in Australia. And online support is too tough to handle like I mentioned above. Too hard. Very disappointed on this front. 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation