Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Nimajeb
Guide
Guide

When I open the app and tap the live stream play button, it says "connecting..." for longer than 8s (or "Please wait..." on the browser).  Often times it just gets stuck on "connecting...", indefinitely.  Sometimes closing the app and reopening works, but sometimes it doesn't and I just have to give up.  This occurs on my iPhone and my Macbook Pro (Chrome and Safari), on all 3 cameras that I have (1 plugged in, 2 wireless).

I also don't think this is a connection issue between me and the Netgear server, because when I ping arlo.netgear.com the average response time is a little less than 19ms.

Device Details
iPhone:

• Model: iPhone 11 Pro
  • OS version: 13.4.1
  • App version: 2.16 (260)

Browser:

• Model: Macbook Pro 13" (2016 Touchbar)
  • OS version: 10.15.4
  • Chrome version: 81.0.4044.138
  • Safari version: 13.1
14 REPLIES 14
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nimajeb wrote:

I also don't think this is a connection issue between me and the Netgear server, because when I ping arlo.netgear.com the average response time is a little less than 19ms.

You should be using https://my.arlo.com (arlo split off from Netgear in 2018).

Also, if you didn't switch from the Netgear app to the Arlo one, then you should do that.

Nimajeb
Guide
Guide

Thanks Stephen.  However, when I ping my.arlo.com I get the same average time.  I just got my Arlo Pro 3s about a month ago, and downloaded the app that the instructions told me to download, so I'm assuming it's the correct one.  Additionally, this is occurring in the browser portal also.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nimajeb wrote:

I just got my Arlo Pro 3s about a month ago, and downloaded the app that the instructions told me to download, so I'm assuming it's the correct one.  Additionally, this is occurring in the browser portal also.

How far are the cameras from the base?

What signal strength are you seeing in the cameras?

Do you ever see any indications that the base station is offline?

In my experience, the response time to live streaming can be variable, but if it routinely fails then it's most likely related to the camera->base connection quality.

Nimajeb
Guide
Guide
  1. 2 cameras are within 20ft, the other is within 40ft
  2. The 2 cameras within 20ft show full signal, and the 40ft camera shows 2/3
  3. How can I tell if the base station goes offline?

I live in an old house with several plaster walls.  I was afraid that may be affecting the connection between the base and the cameras, however, it's not like the cameras are showing a poor signal.  Just another note: I've also noticed that the live streaming is always a few seconds behind.  I'm at a loss of what I can do, aside from accept the inconsistency.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nimajeb wrote: How can I tell if the base station goes offline?

All three cameras will go off-line.  Also if you go into the device settings for the base, you won't see any option to restart the base.

Nimajeb
Guide
Guide

There are no signs of the base station going offline.  I tested one of the cameras at different ranges from the base station, including right next to it, and the loading time is the same.  I tried moving the base station away from my router, and there may have been a slight improvement, but it's still taking ~7s to load live view and still sometimes doesn't work at all.

Frmboy2297
Initiate
Initiate
Mine does the same thing,both cameras,I have really fast internet.Also when recording something,sound/motion it takes a long time to show up in library.
Nimajeb
Guide
Guide
Now that I’m checking, mine also takes a long time to add clips to the library.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Frmboy2297, Nimajeb

Clips won't arrive in the library until the cameras are finished recording. The longer the recording length, the longer this will take. How long are your recordings?

JamesC

Nimajeb
Guide
Guide
All different lengths. It’s sporadic. Sometimes the clips show up quickly, sometimes a bunch of clips won’t show up for several minutes, then show up the next time I check several hours later. I’ve also noticed that the motion detection is also terrible on two of my 3 cameras. One doesn’t trigger recording ever, the other has “moods”.
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Can't really tell you much except these cameras have huge software issues...
Cameras great, aftercare and software garbage!
Daniel03
Tutor
Tutor
Just set up 2 Arlo Pro 3 cameras & also notice a very long lag time to active live streaming or video positioning modes; sometimes it never connects at all.
medic459
Guide
Guide

I had the same problem.  I moved the base twice.  I had cameras mounted outdoor ~20 feet away through 2 walls and another 25 ft away through 1 glass door and neither would connect.  I did chat support and the troubleshooting I was told to do was:

1. Have you tried restarting the base?
  2. Have you tried resetting the cameras?
  3. Have you tried moving them closer?

Had only I thought of doing those!!!

Alas, nothing worked so..i'm returning these useless cameras.  Sadly, I can't find another system out there that is comparable (on paper).  That being said, a system which takes a Polaroid and then mails it to me via USPS is still a superior solution to Arlo cameras that never connect.

I would rate it 5/5 stars on the 'Do Not Buy' list.  

PS
Was mowing the lawn yesterday and noticed that my neighbor has Arlo cameras installed.  I got so mad and I was tempted to knock them down.  At first I was worried "What if the cameras recorded me!".  Moments later I realized...'wait!  these are Arlo cameras...so clearly they don't work and are simply useless decoys'. 

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hahhaha
Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation