Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Just purchased the Pro 3 kit. Video does not play on my Android version 9 phone

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Mark_B
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone know how to playback the Arlo video's on an Android 9 smartphone? The recorded video's don't seem comatible with the Android 9 system.  Thanks for any help.

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you mean usinmg the app to view the videos or are you downloading them and then trying to view them? It's been a while since I had an Android 9 device but they used to play fine in the app and I believe they still should. Downloading may need you to install the free VLC viewer app to view them since some/many viewers have issues playing these videos.

Mark_B
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I mean "using the Arlo app". Videos are not playing within the Arlo app.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried rebooting the phone and reinstalling the app?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Mark_B,

What are you seeing when you try to play a video? Do you see an error message?

JamesC

Mark_B
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have removed and re-installed the app. All I get when I play recordings is a black screen (no error mesage).

The phone does show live footage without a problem.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Mark_B,

Are you able to download the video clips and play them? Do you experience the same behavior if you test on another device?

JamesC

Mark_B
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can download them and play them on VLC media player - extremely inconvenient though. I got my old Andriod 7 phone out and it played the files as you would expect –straight from the Arlo app.. Any ideas – seems like a codec problem to me!

Mark_B
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have looked into this heavily and it appears that the Arlo App does not have its own video codec - but uses the one provided on the Android phone.

That being the case - could someone please advise me the actual Codec needed by the Arlo recorded video app play back - so I can change it on my phone?

Cheers, Mark

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't know of any codec needed to be added. My Lenovo Chromebook uses an implied Android 9 for Android apps and videos are viewed in the app with no problems. I would suspect either an issue with the Android version provided by the manufacturer (what phone is it?) and/or the need to reset the phone.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation