Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Issue formatting USB Thumb Drive in Base

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Sticks0915
Tutor
Tutor

So I learned tonight that the Pro 3 doesn't record for 7 days without a subscription like my moms Arlo Pro 2 does. 😡  So I've been reading up on local storage.  Inserted a 4gb thumb drive I had laying around just to test before I buy a bigger one.  Insert it into the base, open app choose storage then format USB Flash Drive.  Shows it' formats then says Require formatting.  So what am I missing?  Also when i select local from the library I get an error obtaining library, arlo team is working on the issue.  So I can't record?  Makes the cameras pretty useless if I can't record what's going on.  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sticks0915 wrote:

Inserted a 4gb thumb drive I had laying around just to test before I buy a bigger one.  Insert it into the base, open app choose storage then format USB Flash Drive.  Shows it' formats then says Require formatting.  So what am I missing?  

What base are you using?  I believe the VMB4540 requires 16 GB.

Also, some USB drives have 2 partitions - one for main storage, the other for application software and sometimes encrypted files.  That creates issues for the base stations, so both partitions need to be deleted and an new single partition created.  If you use Windows you can do that with the windows disk manager.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sticks0915 wrote:

Inserted a 4gb thumb drive I had laying around just to test before I buy a bigger one.  Insert it into the base, open app choose storage then format USB Flash Drive.  Shows it' formats then says Require formatting.  So what am I missing?  

What base are you using?  I believe the VMB4540 requires 16 GB.

Also, some USB drives have 2 partitions - one for main storage, the other for application software and sometimes encrypted files.  That creates issues for the base stations, so both partitions need to be deleted and an new single partition created.  If you use Windows you can do that with the windows disk manager.

Sticks0915
Tutor
Tutor

That's the base station I have.  So minimum of 16 gb then?  I'll stop by a store today and pickup a 32 or 64 gb. Wish it has the option for SD or micro SD have a number of those laying around.  Really disappointed that I didn't read about the cloud recording not working after the trial perior. Went based off what my mom and sister have Pro and Pro 2 and thought upgrade to better video, newer model makes sense.  Now not so much

I'll check the new drive for partitions when I get it

Sticks0915
Tutor
Tutor
So I have a bunch of SD cards that are 32gb, Samsung. Have a card reader so thought I'd give that a shot. Put the card in my laptop, formatted to FAT32. No additional partitions showing. Got the same error when I hooked it to the base station and formatted it. Took I out and formatted in NTFS. Put it in the card reader chose format card. It showed that it was formatting then after 30 seconds get format failed. When I select to retry format instant format issue.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I've never tried a card reader, so I have no experience there.

Minimum flash drive capacity is here: https://kb.arlo.com/1146857/How-do-I-set-up-local-storage-backups-on-a-USB-device-using-my-Arlo-base...

Note it also says the base requires FAT32 formatting.

Sticks0915
Tutor
Tutor
Was out an picked up a 128gb USB 3.1 thumb drive. Formatted in my computer then in the base station. Os working now! Really appreciate the info and help.. still disappointed they don't include the 7 day cloud storage that was included with previous systems
dcfox1
Master
Master

@Sticks0915  FWIW the cloud subscription is worth it to me compared to the limitations of Local storage as I use that just for back up. But it's up to each person. 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation