Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Best settings for Hummingbird Detection

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
ACritt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anybody know the best settings to DETECT hummingbirds on an Arlo Pro 3? I have one mounted 4 feet away and one 7 feet away and neither will detect the birds. I know the birds are there because I see them and have another brand camera that detects them fine. But the Arlo has a better picture and it would be great if it would detect them when they come. Otherwise it's useless. Thanks. Andre

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have done a few small animals....

Sense level and close is the key. Since you already at 100%, you may want to get closer to the bird.

In below pics, distance for very good capture is less than a foot.

vlcsnap-2018-08-19-11h12m33s368s.pngbird1.JPG

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
dcfox1
Master
Master

Have you tried increasing the sensitivity setting as they are small. 

ACritt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, thank you dcfox1. Both cameras have been set on 100% for a while now. (I did learn this had to be done in the Detects Motion section of the Mode setting.)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Small animals will always be an issue and hummingbirds are likely some of the worst objects. The main issue is the amount of IR they emit to be able to be detected as well as the speed of flight and their wings. It would better to use a camera that uses pixel change detection such as a Q or Essential Indoor camera. However, neither of those are rated for outdoor use so you would need to fashion some sort of protection for them as well as the AC power needed for those cameras to operate. Note that they will detect through glass due to the detection method so setting them indoors could work.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have done a few small animals....

Sense level and close is the key. Since you already at 100%, you may want to get closer to the bird.

In below pics, distance for very good capture is less than a foot.

vlcsnap-2018-08-19-11h12m33s368s.pngbird1.JPG

ACritt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you jguerdat. If I ever do get another camera for this I will attempt to make note of the motion detection method.

ACritt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you TomMac. I will try moving it closer. I was following the documentation which indicates it should be at least 5 feet away for best detection. I guess that applies to larger objects.

MVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

mine picks up bees buzzing around the camera quite often - and moths at night, so it clearly must have the capability to capture these events.

Maybe also turn off smart detections so it doesn't try to use the smart algorithm to ignore "unwanted" motion you want to capture

ACritt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I moved the feeder about a foot and a half from the camera and it is picking them up now. I don't know if it is getting them all, and if they stay still too long it drops the recording, but this is much better. Thank you all for your help.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Try using a fix time over till motion stops

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation