Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is there any way to prevent the camera from detecting vehicles?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Usmaak
Star
Star

I live on a somewhat busy street with a somewhat busy sidewalk running along it.  I pointed the camera so that the gray area is right along the edge of the sidewalk.  It is not in the street at all.  I want to get video of people using the sidewalk but do not want video of vehicles.  Yet I get many vehicles recorded each day.  It is especially bad in the evening when just about every car that drives by ends up on video.  It wouldn't matter to me so much, but in spite of having smart alerts set so that it doesn't notify of vehicles, I get many notifications.  And the filters on the app are terrible.  I will set it to filter out vehicles but as soon as I look at a video and come back out to the list, all of the vehicles are once again in the list.  The filters still show up at the top of the screen, but are just not being used.  I have to kill the filters and start filtering it again.  There should be a way to permanently filter items out of the list.

I have an Android phone - Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with latest updates and latest app update.

My Arlo Pro 3 is permanently plugged in to an outlet outdoors.

I have tried dialing down the sensitivity of the camera, but even a little change in the sensitivity reduces the number of people and animals that show up on the recording while doing nothing for the number of vehicles I get recorded.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Usmaak
Star
Star

I've been using the app for about a month now and have noticed the following errors.

1. Pull down to refresh only works sporadically.  When the app is first started, it works.  After a few times, it stops.  The only way to refresh the list is to either go to a different day and then come back, or completely shut the app down and restart it.
  2. If I set up a filter, it works fine until I view a video.  When I come out of the video the list of filters is still on the top of the screen but the videos are no longer filtered.  I have to kill all of the filters and redo them in order to get them back and they only last until the next video watched.
  3. The sound quality through the app is poor.  My ring doorbell picks up the sounds of cars as they drive by.  I can't hear anything on the Arlo app for my camera.

I get a lot of cars driving by that get recorded in spite of my trying everything to prevent it.  I would really like to be able to reliably filter these cars out permanently.  I don't want to see them.  I'm only interested in people and animals.

On a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with the latest updated firmware and completely updated cameras and base.  I have the latest update of the app.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Usmaak,

If you're experiencing too many notifications/recordings of vehicles where the camera is currently located, you may need to readjust the position of the camera until you experience the desired results.

You might also try utilizing Activity Zones to filter out certain areas of the camera field of view. For more information on Activity Zones, take a look here: What are activity zones and how do I create them?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation