Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
johnnny1
Tutor
Tutor
I purchased the Arlo 3. 4 camera set up and hub since the beginning I’ve had issues with multiple recordings of things that I did not want recorded which amazingly enough that got resolved battery life was nowhere near what they said gave me the song and dance that my settings were blah blah blah blah try that battery life didn’t work paid an electrician to come hardwire the most active camera and the most camera I need active so when fully charged at night the infrared lights stay on and doesn’t record or pick up anything so contacted Arlo try anotherAnd I did that same issue brought that camera and hooked it up to the Home charger turned it on in complete darkness same problem Arlo send me a replacement camera guess what same problem send me another replacement camera not only is the package is damaged it looks like it’s a used Camera guess what Same problem. The other cameras I have or not as active an easy accessible that’s why I did not need to hardwire it Arlo support their technical has been the worst not to mention their customer service has anybody else had this type of problem with the Arlo three when fully charged the infrared stay on please help I do not feel secure with these cameras.
30 REPLIES 30
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

johnnny1,

It's not clear to me what issue you are experiencing. When the camera is live streaming or detecting motion at night, the IR LEDs will be active to enable night vision mode.

Are you saying the camera recordings as expected during the day but is not recording at night? What mode are you using?

JamesC

johnnny1
Tutor
Tutor
So when it’s plugged in to the charger and reaches 100 percent at first motion at night the infrared lights come on and stay on and will not record Is it possible to contact me directly
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

johnnny1,

I encourage you to reach out to our support team to help troubleshoot the issue you're experiencing. You can find methods to contact support here: Arlo Support Team

JamesC

johnnny1
Tutor
Tutor
The camera works fine during the day but if I leave the charger on it and once night time comes around. At first motion the infrared red comes on and stays on it will not turn off unless I unplug the charger. And with the infrared saying on at night time it will not record. I can only live stream I’ve already contact support they were no help. Again is there a way to contact me directly
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

johnnny1,

Do you have a ticket number for your support case? I can request an agent reach out to you for a status update.

JamesC

johnnny1
Tutor
Tutor
When camera is hooked up to charger at night time the infrared lights stay on Not allowing it to detect a person and start recording how much clearer is that
johnnny1
Tutor
Tutor
Yes I have but the agent’s aren’t any help that why I tried this approach
johnnny1
Tutor
Tutor
So am I going to get help with this issue or do I need to chalk this up as a waste of money for my well being and security
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

johnnny1,

I've opened and escalated a support case detailing the information you've provided here. An agent will reach out to you as soon as possible with a status update.

JamesC

johnnny1
Tutor
Tutor
No one has got back to me. Instead I’m getting emails to update from a Waseem
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Not sure if this will help you but...
I've spent months sorting out issues and working out what's what on my own pro3's, what I can say is when these cameras are on battery or still charging, the ir lights only come on when detected movement as the camera would go flat faster.
But when fully charged the camera goes into the 3 second look back mode, so the ir lights have to stay on all the time as the 3 second look back would be pitch black for those 3 seconds.
What I can't say is why yours won't record at this point, only thing I had before was using an after market outdoor charger which didn't have enough volts to use camera once motion detected so the camera would freeze.
Maybe no help to you
johnnny1
Tutor
Tutor
I actually have the Arlo charger for it the infrared lights stay on and does not detect movement because they are on and because they stay on that’s the reason why it won’t record at night time if I unplug the charger the infrared lights turn off
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Ok, but the ir lights are supposed to stay on if fully charged and plugged in for the 3 second look back to work, trust me all mine are the same.
Like I say don't know why yours won't record though
johnnny1
Tutor
Tutor
What do you mean by 3 seconds??? And as I mentioned it will not record when the or are on constant
johnnny1
Tutor
Tutor
And that doesn’t make any sense why the infrared lights stay on when fully charged and plunged in at night I thought the whole point of infrared lights was to come on once detected what you have set in your smart settings why do they stay on only plugged in
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
When these cameras are plugged in and fully charged they are constantly recording, only for 3 seconds though, so what happens is when motion is detected not only do you see from when the motion was triggered but also the 3 seconds before. This is done as the beginning of the clip sometimes the most important is missing. This is why the ir lights stay on otherwise the 3 second look back feature would be pointless as it would be pitch black until triggered motion. Hope this makes sense
johnnny1
Tutor
Tutor
But why only plugged in and fully charged??? That makes no sense. So why don’t they do that normally. ???And like I said it doesn’t record when this happens
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Because the battery would be dead in 2 hours using this feature, like I said I have no idea why yours won't record though, just that the ir lights are doing what they are supposed to, that's the reason why your replacement cameras are doing exactly the same
johnnny1
Tutor
Tutor
And how does it sense motion when the infrared lights are already on I think that why it does not record
dcfox1
Master
Master

Yes as @Shaun1234  it makes sense when I had one of mine plugged in the light was always on a he said. That is why on battery it would not as it would kill the battery fast. 

johnnny1
Tutor
Tutor
So you’re telling me this is a normal feature dot so when I have it plugged in it’s at 100% the infrared lights are on and I’m standing in front of the camera waving at it right where I need to be to secure my vehicle and it’s not notifying me or sending me a message saying motion of per person detected
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Sorry I've explained the best I can, the ir lights don't detect the motion
johnnny1
Tutor
Tutor
So basically you’re telling me that this is a normal feature and the camera that’s in front of my house plugged in will have the infrared lights on all night so when people walk by there’s two red dots on all the time but we’re not plugged in the only time they come on is when they get movement is this the way all cameras are twos and fours because it really doesn’t make sense to me
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Correct, for a camera to record at night it uses a variant of night vision, in this case ir, when on battery to save power these only activate when triggered. When plugged in and fully charged these stay on all the time to catch the trigger immediately with no delay, same if the camera had a cvr plan the ir would be permanently on at night
Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation