Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I need to add a base station, what options do I have?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
razormatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I need to expand my system but not just cameras. I need to add a base station to extend the coverage because I have a large house and want to put more cameras outside. I have a VMB3010r2 now and dont care what base station I can add. What options do I have?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

I would suggest you look at what cameras you will be adding and just get the base station that comes with those cameras in a kit. So if you are going to get the Pro3's simply pick up the 2 camera kit that will come with the VMB4540 base station. If you are going to get the Pro2's then get the kit that will come with either the VMB4000, or the VMB4500. The older VMB4000 is actually a more robust hub by the way.

If you do want to buy just the base station it should also be noted that as far as I know only the VMB4000 and VMB5000 are sold on Amazon. The big difference between them are the support for 2k and 4k video , Dualband radios, and the Siren that is in the older hub is not present on the new one.  

Generally speaking the cheapest way to get a new hub and cameras will be to get a kit with all of them. 

Also as I understand it there are some significant differences between the 3k series and then 4k series so you may find that after upgrading the hub you will want to replace the 3k series for some of the added features.

One thing I would like to add is if you find the KB article about the VMB4000 supporting the Pro3 with 2k video it is a kind of it does and doesn't situation. It does for local streaming, but that is it. So if you have a choice you would still want the base that comes with it or the VMB5000

The kb article discussing the differences KB: What are the difference between each Arlo Smarthub and base station 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Any of the bases will work with the Arlo HD, Pro , and Pro 2 cameras...

( I think the 4000 model is the best one to expand with )

But the newer cameras Pro3 and Ultra will only work with the newest Smarthub models.

( those these are backward compatible to older cameras too )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
razormatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response, I understand the cameras are mostly compatible but since I need a second base to extend coverage I am mostly concerned about buying another base and the 2 bases not working together.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@razormatt wrote:

....I am mostly concerned about buying another base and the 2 bases not working together.

You don't say which cameras you plan to buy, which will determine the hub to get. You'll want one that delivers all of the features that the cameras offer.

I have successfully added different generations of hubs to a single system. I currently have a VMB4000 Pro 2 hub attached to a system with an VMB5000 Ultra hub.

The trick is probably to arrange your system so that any newer cameras work through the new hub while the older cameras used the older hub.

One thing to remember, new cameras do not come with the free seven-day cloud storage people got with the Pro 2, if they are what you own. Again that is an unknown. Your VMB3000 seems to predate even the  Pro 2 base station, which is VMB4000 here.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@razormatt wrote:

Thanks for the quick response, I understand the cameras are mostly compatible but since I need a second base to extend coverage I am mostly concerned about buying another base and the 2 bases not working together.

You put both bases on the same account, and connect some of the cameras to the new base.  Modes (including scheduling and geofencing) are independent on the two bases - though of course you can set the configuration to match.  The fact that they are independent can sometimes make scheduling simpler.  If you use cross-triggering, then you do want to put the cross-triggered cameras on the same base.

Since the app sees everything in the account, nothing really changes there.  You just need to make sure you set the modes on both bases (if you ever change the mode).

As far as the base model goes, it depends partly on what cameras you might want to add in the immediate future.  The VMB4000 is a good choice for the original WireFree, Pro, and Pro2s.  If you want to add Pro3s or Ultras, then I'd go with the VMB5000 instead. 

If you aren't planning to add cameras right now, then just go with the VMB4000 (and look at bases again when you do want to add more).

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

I would suggest you look at what cameras you will be adding and just get the base station that comes with those cameras in a kit. So if you are going to get the Pro3's simply pick up the 2 camera kit that will come with the VMB4540 base station. If you are going to get the Pro2's then get the kit that will come with either the VMB4000, or the VMB4500. The older VMB4000 is actually a more robust hub by the way.

If you do want to buy just the base station it should also be noted that as far as I know only the VMB4000 and VMB5000 are sold on Amazon. The big difference between them are the support for 2k and 4k video , Dualband radios, and the Siren that is in the older hub is not present on the new one.  

Generally speaking the cheapest way to get a new hub and cameras will be to get a kit with all of them. 

Also as I understand it there are some significant differences between the 3k series and then 4k series so you may find that after upgrading the hub you will want to replace the 3k series for some of the added features.

One thing I would like to add is if you find the KB article about the VMB4000 supporting the Pro3 with 2k video it is a kind of it does and doesn't situation. It does for local streaming, but that is it. So if you have a choice you would still want the base that comes with it or the VMB5000

The kb article discussing the differences KB: What are the difference between each Arlo Smarthub and base station 

razormatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for everyone's help you have answered my questions

brh
Master
Master

@razormatt,

recently HSN and QVC have been offering incredible deals on the VMB4000, (Pro base station), with three Pro cameras and 2 Smart Lights for a crazy low price, (nearly 1/2 off regular price). I couldn't resist and I bought that kit for my daughter.

Also be advised that with two bases, you will need some sort of wi-fi extender to plug the second base into or run a long cable from your router. Also you will need to Arm/Disarm the two bases separately.

Brian

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@brh wrote:

@razormatt,

recently HSN and QVC have been offering incredible deals on the VMB4000, (Pro base station), with three Pro cameras and 2 Smart Lights for a crazy low price, (nearly 1/2 off regular price).

That would be the Pro 2 base station, which does not support some of the features of the Pro 3 cameras. Probably why there is such a good deal. Dumping old stock.

Still a great deal, especially now that the Pro 3 cameras need a paid subscription for cloud recording beyond a few months.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation