Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

How do I reduce the number of alerts and still stay protected?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Evey5
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've recently purchased and Arlo doorbell and two Arlo Pro3 cameras. I'm trying to configure the settings so I am not notified each time I come in an out of my house and every time my dog comes in and out of the house. I think the first issue is that Arlo is only recording when motion is detected. Most of the motion at my house is me and my family, and I'm quickly becoming frustrated with all the notifications. I set our rear camera to only detect people, but that doesn't work at all. It alerts every time we let the dog out. I've explored the geofencing, but that too is frustrating because I want the system to be armed when I'm inside my house, but with the geofencing it disarms the system when I'm inside the set area. If the system constantly recorded on a loop I'm thinking it might be better. It would take more time to go back and locate specific events, but these alerts are really getting annoying.

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Evey5 wrote:

I've recently purchased and Arlo doorbell and two Arlo Pro3 cameras. I'm trying to configure the settings so I am not notified each time I come in an out of my house and every time my dog comes in and out of the house.

Start with the camera positioning.  Raising it up a bit might help.  You can also invert it (and apply the setting in the app to make the image right side up).  The camera is more sensitive to motion at the bottom of the field of view than it is at the top.  So inverting it should help with triggering on the dog.

Also, adjust the motion sensitivity using the motion detection test.  Walk in front of the camera(s) and find the lowest threshold that detects you reliably.  Then set the real motion threshold to that value (or slightly above it).

Then you can set activity zones.  These can eliminate notifications and recordings triggered outside the area of interest.  They do not help with battery life, so the measures above are worth looking at first.

Evey5
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks! 

I've actually adjusted the sensitivity, and created activity zones. I'll try inverting the one camera to see if that helps with the dog.

Thanks again

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation