Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How connect pro 3 camera directly to wifi

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
girtam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Recently I installed Arlo Pro3 cameras along with Hub.

The issue is hub coverage is not enough to connect to all cameras and video quality is not great. In https://kb.arlo.com/000062357/How-do-I-change-the-WiFi-network-that-my-Arlo-device-is-connected-to it said I can connect camera directly to my wifi router but I'm unable to.

If I try to connect camera through app it is taking me to hub.

If I'm able to connect camera directly to wifi, will I be able to record video on to local storage.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@girtam wrote: In https://kb.arlo.com/000062357/How-do-I-change-the-WiFi-network-that-my-Arlo-device-is-connected-to it said I can connect camera directly to my wifi router .

No, it doesn't say that.  The Pro 3 camera (VMC4040P) is not listed in the "This article applies to:" section.  The Pro 3 (like the Pro and Pro 2) has be connected to an Arlo base/smarthub.

@girtam wrote:

If I'm able to connect camera directly to wifi, will I be able to record video on to local storage.

Local storage requires that the camera be connected to the base.

Unfortunately the options you have are to

• purchase another smarthub (and place them to get the coverage you need).
  • purchase a camera model  that can be connected to your home wifi.
girtam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can I use wifi extender with the hub? I don't know if there is password for the hub.

Wifi extender for the hub not to give ethernet connection to the hub

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@girtam wrote:

Can I use wifi extender with the hub? I don't know if there is password for the hub.

You can't extend the hub wifi.  The network is only for the cameras, and Arlo doesn't let you set the password (and doesn't publish it).

You can connect the hub ethernet to the extender's ethernet connection, which is often useful if you want to move the hub to a spot where you don't have ethernet.

girtam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hmm, wish I kew this before.

This is not a good setup. In most of the homes there is wifi setup to cover most of the area and to use Arlo one has to buy more hubs essentially as one hub cannot cover both ends of the house. 

So extra expense of more hubs and more wifi extending hardware. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@girtam wrote:

This is not a good setup. In most of the homes there is wifi setup to cover most of the area and to use Arlo one has to buy more hubs essentially as one hub cannot cover both ends of the house. 

So extra expense of more hubs and more wifi extending hardware. 

Mesh networks were not as popular back in 2019 when the Pro 3 was introduced.  All the Arlo cameras introduced after that are able to connect directly to home wifi (though many people here still do use base stations with those cameras).

There are some tradeoffs here - bases provide local storage, and the closed wifi can be tailored to help reduce power use in the camera.  But as you say, they do add cost, and deploying them where you need them is a problem for many people.

Personally I'd like to see a base that can be used for local storage even when the cameras are connected to home wifi.  Ideally it could connect either with ethernet or wifi.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation