Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 24 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Orangeman51
Follower
Follower

I'm very disappointed to discover that there's no ability to grant access to local storage. I understand the security/technical reasoning behind only allowing those on the local network to access local storage. That makes sense. But there is no security/technical reason to limit one's ability to grant access to local storage for those who are on the network (or are connected via VPN).

This is a massive flaw that is clearly designed to get people to pay for Arlo's cloud service. While Arlo advertises the ability to use local storage instead of their cloud service, this flaw coupled with the fact that only one user can be logged into the primary account at a time drastically reduces the practicality of the local storage system if you intend to have any more than one person access the system.

So instead of paying for the cloud service, I'll instead be returning the $800+ system and replacing it with something else. While the system I purchased is the Arlo Pro 3, from what I've read elsewhere in this forum, this flaw exists across all of Arlo's products, including the "top-of-the-line" Arlo Ultra.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Orangeman51,

At this time, local storage access is only available for the primary user. We're sorry that Arlo does not fit your needs due to this limitation. I will pass your feedback along to the development team.

JamesC

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Orangeman51,

At this time, local storage access is only available for the primary user. We're sorry that Arlo does not fit your needs due to this limitation. I will pass your feedback along to the development team.

JamesC

Mapkos
Initiate
Initiate

I think it is ridiculous that the app limits the ability to view videos on local storage to one user. Based on those limitations, a husband and wife cannot independently access stored videos. Clearly, this limited functionality tries to drive users to a paid storage solution. Pretty sad and the constant push and bias towards the subscription service will keep me from referring others to this security system.

d23wilson
Star
Star

When is Arlo going to allow users to grant access to their family and see them be able to access local storage?

that way avoiding the ongoing cost of Arlo “secure” video storage.

I see other posted items, with little input….seems to me, to be a conservative view. Most product managers wont understand it when they see their number dropping after a reasonable life span of usage of one product line, ie. due to this lacking feature, people will drop away once their product has lasted 3-4-5 maybe up to 10 years, and then will seek out a competente product that allows direct access OR who has partnered with apple  for thei secure storage.

The loud squeaky wheel you oil, until you just crack it and replace the wheel completely.

the quiet conservative, walks away like nothing ever existed there in the first place.

People of Arlo, there going to be a s..t storm of reality about to hit the capitalist west….Arlo, “premium” subscriptions and such will be the first things you notice dwindling in your eventual stubborn decline.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 24 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation