Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Firmware update query

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi folks,

Can anyone shed light on the Arlo firmware update process for me?

I checked my email today and found that I had received an update on a support ticket asking me whether a firmware update issued a couple of weeks ago has resolved a problem.  I was not aware that my device firmware had been updated, but sure enough when I checked device info in the app and compared to the firmware release notes posted by @JamesC I found that the firmware on two of my Arlo models, five devices in total, had changed without my knowledge.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

This surprised me as I assumed that firmware updates would be initiated manually or that I would be prompted about new firmware updates.  It is generally accepted best practice to seek user consent, or at least involvement in the firmware update process when updates are brand new.  That way, if you accidentally release a firmware update that causes unforeseen problems you get an 'early warning' from your support staff that there might be an issue, before that update is pushed to your entire customer base and potentially leads to a severe fecal weather event, unlikely as that event might be.

Is my case special because I have support tickets open relating to these devices?  Did an engineer kindly push the updates to my devices without my knowledge because it was thought that it would solve my problem?  Or is that how Arlo always does it?  It would be nice (understatement) to get a notification that a firmware update has taken place, at the very least.  Email would be fine.  It would be better yet if I was given the option to opt-in early to a new firmware release, the opportunity to immediately test that everything is working as expected, and the opportunity to give feedback if a problem is found. (Or wait for others to step into the unknown and warn of bad weather so that i can avoid it).

In this particular case I would have been delighted to update early and see if my problem was solved.  At any other time, I would prefer to wait a while before updating firmware.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First, all sw updates are push out over a time period ( without user control ) after released and have always been this way with Arlo.  There is no user way to stop the firmware updates.

( way back a good number of years ago there was a toggle for stopping  updates, but this was found to create more issues so it was removed )

Second, Yes... if there was an issue with some of your cameras, some of the FW updates can be pushed out to solve issues before they are fully released.  Most are fixes, and for some people they may be field test FW updates.

If any more questions , feel free to ask

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First, all sw updates are push out over a time period ( without user control ) after released and have always been this way with Arlo.  There is no user way to stop the firmware updates.

( way back a good number of years ago there was a toggle for stopping  updates, but this was found to create more issues so it was removed )

Second, Yes... if there was an issue with some of your cameras, some of the FW updates can be pushed out to solve issues before they are fully released.  Most are fixes, and for some people they may be field test FW updates.

If any more questions , feel free to ask

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Many thanks @TomMac .  A heads up on firmware updates in my case would be nice.  I power cycled the hubs today and a camera is now offline (the issue that specific ticket relates to).  I could have saved two weeks of 'watch and see' if I'd been notified and I'd have been happy to perform testing and troubleshooting steps that have a clearly-defined logical purpose.

I do agree that critical firmware updates should be pushed out to all devices once fully field tested.  It's a security system after all.  An email notification or an app popup would be great though.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Agree re the FW updates, but not much can be done...

Notices usu come out a few days after the FW is released ( prob due to it goes out in the early am and takes a few days for all )

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation